Notices
Garage Forum Learn about Garage Flooring, Custom Cabinetry, Doors, Lifts, Wall Wraps & More.

Need ideas for a new big garage

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Need ideas for a new big garage

Hi guys,

As some of you know I am in the process of constructing a new garage as well as a new home. I'm busy planning the garage with the architects and would like some ideas if any of you know or have seen some nice large garages. Please post them up here.

I'm going for a barn type design. Inside will be totally modern, but on the outside it will look low profile. I was just wondering how to keep the dust from coming in to a minimum as some of these cars will be standing longer than others. They go for long intervals without washing (to keep maintenance to a minimum).

Another problem is perhaps the carbon monoxide build up when starting the cars in an area with minimal openings (to keep dust out). Ventillation ideas are welcome. Also keep in mind cost, this facility will be large enough to house around eighty cars.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Mike S; 06-29-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
PatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond repute
exhaust fans in the roof of the car area, assuming you will have living/office A/C only space.

i have seen one that was a basketball court on both ends and the cars could be moved to the sides or outside for a game. this car garage had a projector screen that came out of the center beam and went straight down. there was a living area build inside with a bar atmosphere built above the living area and it was high enough so that you can watch a game or play a game or movie, etc... it was exactly eye-level of the large screen. good luck with yours! post pics of progress, as you know...

Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want anything extravagent. It is purely to just house the cars. I don't plan on entertaining here at all.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Eighty cars?!

Sweet!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
Eighty cars?!

Sweet!
I had to reread that sentence about 5 times.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Well, I'm already a quarter way there

Old 06-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Nav
Teamspeed Senior Member
Nav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mike S
....... this facility will be large enough to house around eighty cars.
Originally Posted by Mike S

..........I don't want anything extravagent. It is purely to just house the cars. I don't plan on entertaining here at all.

so Mike, what do you consider extravagant?

I have nothing of value to add, but I definitely am looking forward to seeing pics of the finished product!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
You have probably thought of all of this, but I thought I would throw some ideas out there anyway

I would imagine that as a part of this facility you were planning to have a fairly complete workshop including a lift, dyno and all of the other necessary tools to maintain and even improve such a mighty fleet. Taking it a step further, you could think about having some fabrication tools on site as well as welding and machining tools. Imagine having your mechanic come to you and do everything on site. I could even envision a built in fueling station with several octane levels to suit the requirements of your fleet. You might want to think about an office/sitting room for memorabilia, watching videos and keeping records on all of your fleet.

I am really looking forward to seeing this project as it takes shape and comes to life.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
BigE - you should be my project manager! Yes it will have indoor washbays so one can still wash in winter or even at night! There will be a small workshop around the corner with a lift or two for the old cars I want to restore and for general maintenace. You took it a step further with the dyno and fuel pumps! I doubt I will do those, but I can always investigate the idea.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:50 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Mike, it sounds like the nigerian emails are working well for you! Congrats! j/k

I have trouble coming up with ideas for a 5 car garage, definitely keep us posted on your ideas and progress!

Quick Reply: Need ideas for a new big garage