Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Tree sap removal....?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Teamspeed Member
Craddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond repute
Tree sap removal....?

Anybody have any tips or tricks to remove really stuck on tree sap? I ended up leaving the car under a tree when I was away for work, and came back to this. The stuff is like superglue!

I've tried washing (extensive scrubbing on one spot does remove it), using a clay bar, and using WD40 as a solvent. None have really worked. Any tips, or tricks? I'm almost to the point of taking it to a pro here in Edmonton.

Attached Images    
Old 07-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
aowheels is an unknown quantity at this point
If its tree sap you can use some denatured alcohol

Small amount with a soft cloth. But might have to follow up with some additional care

Old 07-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Hit that quick before it sets hard. Tar remover can also soften sap. Little leftover bits can be clayed off.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
Goo gone spray also works wonders. Make sure you wash it afterwards.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ogaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond repute
Move from Canada.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aowheels
If its tree sap you can use some denatured alcohol

Small amount with a soft cloth. But might have to follow up with some additional care
I used this method however it left a ring at the periphery of the blob.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
aowheels is an unknown quantity at this point
That's where the additional care comes in. Depending on how long the blob has been there, treesap can cause clearcoat damage. That ring is not from cleaning it off. It's from the damage the treesap. Denatured alcohol is very effective cleaner for this. It's almost to easy. But if this gentelmen has tried WD40 then I highly doubt that denatured alcohol will be a problem!

Old 07-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond repute
I know this is probably frowned upon by the detailing community but I had some sap none of the traditional detailing supplies were getting off and a quick dab of gasoline on a soft cloth took it off right away. I just followed up immediately with water and washed the entire car to remove any left over residue.

Detail guys feel free to chime in and tell me this was the dumbest thing I could do so I don't do it in the future.