Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Detailing & Paint Protection (https://teamspeed.com/forums/detailing-paint-protection/)
-   -   convertible top cleaning.. whats recommended? (https://teamspeed.com/forums/detailing-paint-protection/2461-convertible-top-cleaning-whats-recommended.html)

Racerfan 02-25-2008 11:36 AM

convertible top cleaning.. whats recommended?

not sure how to clean it.. was thinking soap and water but perhaps better products out there?

MoeMistry 02-25-2008 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by bryanc (Post 35736)
not sure how to clean it.. was thinking soap and water but perhaps better products out there?

You can CLEAN the top using the same soap you do to wash your car with. You can PROTECT the top using a products called 303 High Tech Fabric Guard.

Racerfan 02-25-2008 01:47 PM

thanks man appreciate it.

MoeMistry 02-25-2008 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by bryanc (Post 35889)
thanks man appreciate it.

I should have my order in later this week. If there's enough of you guys that want a convertable cleaner/conditioner kit, we can do a group buy. What do you think?

Racerfan 02-25-2008 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by MoeMistry (Post 35922)
I should have my order in later this week. If there's enough of you guys that want a convertable cleaner/conditioner kit, we can do a group buy. What do you think?

im in for a bottle sure. saw on ebay for $14 plus $ shipping.. sounds excessive.

ProDetail 02-25-2008 10:50 PM

There is a product called Raggtop that I use. It is tested and endorsed by Haartz. Haartz is the company that manufactures the tops for Porsche. It is easy to apply and takes one can for a 911 or boxster(3 coats)make sure the top is completly dry and for the first time you want to put 3 coats. Give it a 30 min flash time at 70 degrees.

MoeMistry 02-26-2008 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by ProDetail (Post 36282)
There is a product called Raggtop that I use. It is tested and endorsed by Haartz. Haartz is the company that manufactures the tops for Porsche. It is easy to apply and takes one can for a 911 or boxster(3 coats)make sure the top is completly dry and for the first time you want to put 3 coats. Give it a 30 min flash time at 70 degrees.

Have you used the 303 version Steve? If so, how does it compare with the Raggtop. I've heard of both of them but only have experience with the 303.

ProDetail 02-26-2008 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by MoeMistry (Post 36487)
Have you used the 303 version Steve? If so, how does it compare with the Raggtop. I've heard of both of them but only have experience with the 303.

Raggtop comes in a aerosol can. After being a painter for five years I feel that the aerosol application is easier and the product goes on in a more uniform way. About a year ago I did a side by side test of the two products on a 02 SL 500. It was a beige top and it was neglected. I cleaned the top with a pH balanced emulsifier to remove the dirt, I let the top dry thoroughly and applied Raggtop to the right side and 303 to the left side. I noticed after a few washes the 303 started losing the sheild. The Raggtop performed better in the water test however both products kept the top equally clean.

The customer has the car in storage until the weather breaks so I will see how both products held up.

HBdirtbag 03-04-2008 03:22 PM

another fan of raggtop here basically because it's a more even application...basically following the post above me!

however, we now have a white convertable top in the family on our 66 mustang and I can't find ANYTHING to get it spotless!! Any tips? It's a Vinyl top?

ProDetail 03-04-2008 09:37 PM

however, we now have a white convertable top in the family on our 66 mustang and I can't find ANYTHING to get it spotless!! Any tips? It's a Vinyl top?[/QUOTE]

I had a old mustang vinyl top (white) that I had the same problem I tried the Mr. clean magic eraser and it worked really well. It also works really well on boat interiors. I was scared to use it at first but now I always keep one with me.