Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Aviation (https://teamspeed.com/forums/aviation/)
-   -   Buying my first airplane... A few questions? (https://teamspeed.com/forums/aviation/75886-buying-my-first-airplane-few-questions.html)

Jetpilot718 09-15-2012 08:21 PM

Buying my first airplane... A few questions?

Never thought I'd ever be starting this kind of thread but yeah! I'm looking into purchasing a new-ish (2007-2009) Cessna 172SP, one with the G1000 package because it charters easier. It will go on a flight school's certificate, so condition doesn't have to be "cream puff" status. That's why I'm not going with a brand new airframe.

I know the basics, like TBO, etc but what I'm wondering rather is the idiosyncracies, for example...

Is there a good time of the year to buy, or does that not matter as it would for say, an automobile?

Do I just scour the Trade-A-Plane website/magazine or is there a better way?

Those kind of questions. Basically, for those in this super small club, what was it like? Any mistakes you wish you didn't make, or advice for someone looking to buy for the first time?

Thanks in advance!

airflite1 09-15-2012 10:35 PM

It's a buyers market now. If you're buying to do a lease back to a flying then the 172 is hard to beat, just be sure you know the company well that you are leasing it to. Are you responsible for insurance?

Jetpilot718 09-15-2012 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by airflite1 (Post 1387911)
It's a buyers market now. If you're buying to do a lease back to a flying then the 172 is hard to beat, just be sure you know the company well that you are leasing it to. Are you responsible for insurance?

Good to know. That's precisely what I'm going to do... this is an investment purchase. Plus it'll be a fun weekend getaway toy! I checked out the school and it seems to be expanding. I was very impressed with what I saw and my experience with both part 141 and part 61 environments. They would be responsible for all insurance costs and otherwise, but still I'll have my own LLC set up as a precaution.

I know the winter months can be tough as far as you only get cash from a leaseback when the plane is flying, but maybe if I can get in on the tail end of this winter I can put together enough cushion to be able to float next winter's dry spell. At least that is the plan!

Thanks for the tip, any ideas on where to look for an aircraft? Trade-A-Plane seem like a good avenue?

airflite1 09-15-2012 11:22 PM

Trade a Plane is about the best, with Barnstormers.com probably second.

Insman 09-16-2012 12:48 PM

Controller.com is one of the best in my mind.

I have my 2009 Turbo 182T currently for sale that that might be too much plane for what you are looking for but G1000 is awesome, especially if you have or get Synthetic Vision Technology. Good luck with your search...

2009 CESSNA TURBO 182T SKYLANE Piston Single Aircraft For Sale At Controller.com

Marc 09-16-2012 02:16 PM

Controller

Jetpilot718 09-16-2012 04:06 PM

Thanks guys. Gonna look to get the ball rolling December - January, that way I can pack away some funds during the strong season to help swing the next winter.

Jetpilot718 09-16-2012 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Insman (Post 1387997)
Controller.com is one of the best in my mind.

I have my 2009 Turbo 182T currently for sale that that might be too much plane for what you are looking for but G1000 is awesome, especially if you have or get Synthetic Vision Technology. Good luck with your search...

2009 CESSNA TURBO 182T SKYLANE Piston Single Aircraft For Sale At Controller.com

Nice lookin airplane!

Insman 09-17-2012 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot718 (Post 1388031)
Nice lookin airplane!

Thank you, just not using her enough...

Jetpilot718 09-17-2012 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Insman (Post 1388337)
Thank you, just not using her enough...

Yeah I hear that. I'm going into this knowing I likely won't fly her much, being a leaseback and all, it'll be more like an investment.

Besides, with one of my primary occupations as a charter pilot, owning an airplane feels a bit like taking a mailman for a walk... :hilarious: