Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

B-17 Medal of honor Pilot. GREAT story/Video Old 666

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow B-17 Medal of honor Pilot. GREAT story/Video Old 666

This is a great story about an amazing mission in WWII where a B-17 Bomber known as Old 666 was on a mapping mission and had to fight against 17 Japanese zeros. It's amazing to see and hear about a B-17 in a dogfight, and let alone take down a bunch of enemy fighters in the process. As mentioned in the video, a typical dogfight last about a minute and this attack lasted about 45 minutes.

This bomber crew was the most highly decorated in all of WWII. It really shows the bravery of our armed forces, especially the soldier that went back to his gun after having been shot up.

All the respect in the world to these guys. Here's the video:
YouTube - OLD " 666"

Old 10-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Teamspeed MVP
Smoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond repute
Fantastic story and indicative of the bravery exhibited by all men faced with these odds! Medal of Honor was just but the infantry owe their lives to the mapping before their jump!

Old 10-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
That is so wild. I bet that was the longest 45 mins of the crews lives. Thanks for posting I love these stories.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, it's a great story. I too love watching these stories.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Teamspeed Member
Eric_H is an unknown quantity at this point
I was just perusing the Aviation board for the first time, and I am glad I did. There is a lot of great stuff in here. Worth bringing this thread back from the archives.

This story is incredible. We must NEVER forget what that generation had to go through. I got to fulfill a childhood dream and actually got to hitch a ride on a B-17. I was almost brought to tears - not only because of the simple excitement of actually being in a B-17, but because you can not help but think of the absolute TERROR it must have been like for those boys. You are basically a sitting duck...

This is news footage followed by my personal home video of my Grandfather in law (shot down during his last B-17 ride) and our flight on the Collings Foundation B-17, the 909! Donated by The Collings Foundation

It was a childhood dream come true, a RIDE OF A LIFETIME, and A GREAT HONOR to be a part of it.

Eric's YouTube

Take off was from Love Field (DAL) in Dallas, TX landing at TSTC, in Waco, TX.

Last edited by Eric_H; 10-09-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Teamspeed Member
I think this thread deserves a bump for the 70th anniversary of my grandfather being shot down in a B-17 (story in the video in post 17).

Old 04-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Teamspeed Member
I've been watching some WWII in Color videos on Netfix lately. They had experiences I can not even comprehend (and honestly, hope to never have to).

I will never forget the experience I got to share with my Grandparents. Nor the sacrifices made by that generation.

Just wanted to share other WWII Bomber related experiences I have had -

Kind of ironic, my mother is German and grew up in East Prussia (now Poland) and to escape the Russians her family made their way to Germany during the end of the war.. those that stayed (my other relatives) were killed. She knows/cares so little about airplanes she does not know the difference between a jet or a propeller. However, when I was around 12 years old I was in the living room with my parents... we heard a plane coming (not uncommon)... I didn't think twice about it but my mom's eyes got as big as saucers. I was looking at her strangely wondering WTF was going on. She looked at me and said, "that is a bomber" (in German). I was shocked she had any clue but I immediately went outside to witness a B17 fly over head (Addison airport is home to many WWII planes). She totally remembered the B17s flying over head and bombing them - she knew the sound.

In Oct '14 I was lucky enough to see FiFi -the last remaining flying B-29 in the world again. This time at its base in Texas. I got to climb through the interior!
For topping on the cake, the very next weekend I found myself at the Smithsonian and got to see the Enola Gay for the 1st time in person! I just had to share - I thought it was so awesome to be lucky enough to experience that.

If you get the chance make sure you check FiFi out on it's tour (or the B-17 909 I got to fly in) - bring $ and they give rides! Who knows how long we will get to experience the sights and sounds of the 1940's.

I want this Snetterton monument in my front yard, it is beautiful!

Old 12-31-2016, 10:59 AM
Teamspeed Member
Made him an X-Mas present that also helps him with his volunteer school speech gigs:

http://b17chief.com

Old 10-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Teamspeed Member
A few days ago the B-17 that I had the honor to fly in crashed and was destroyed (see post#5 in this thread). This is a super tragedy. I am so sorry and sad that people lost their lives. I had the honor of flying on this plane several years ago with my grandfather who had to jump out of one in WWII. The fact that groups out there try to keep these things flying is astounding. It is like going back in time - and brings you a shocking reality of the hell that it must have been to be stuck in one while getting shot at. Meanwhile since there is no war going on, my experience was combined with total geeking out hysteria and it was the ride of a lifetime.

Old 04-09-2022, 12:39 PM
Teamspeed Member
I just wanted to close out my updates with the message that unfortunately we have lost another from the greatest generation. My wife's grandfather that I had the honor of knowing and being invited to his last B-17 flight (that I posted here earlier) passed away. We actually received word of his passing the very day my wife and I were visiting the 8th bomber group museum. He was buried earlier this week, on April 7th - exactly 77 years to the day that he was shot down over Germany during WWII.
He will be missed! A tough old bird at 97 he had a great quality of life until the final few months. Just before he still drove and mowed his large lawn! He would be proud of his funeral, so many showed up to tell stories and honor him. Flyovers, full military burial, it was a beautiful ceremony.

Last edited by Eric_H; 04-09-2022 at 12:40 PM.