Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Aviation (https://teamspeed.com/forums/aviation/)
-   -   Hawker 800xp vs. Challenger 601 (https://teamspeed.com/forums/aviation/35225-hawker-800xp-vs-challenger-601-a.html)

bradb1us 01-15-2010 11:30 AM

Hawker 800xp vs. Challenger 601

Does anybody have any experience with these two planes?

If you had to choose between the two, which would you choose and why? Primary use will be 50/50 personal and business mostly in the USA with the occasional trip to Hawaii.

It seems decent examples could be had for $5mm or so (late 90's 800xp vs. earlier 90's 601).

Hawker 800xp

http://executivecharter.net/sitebuil...es/XPplane.jpg

Passenger Capacity 8 People
Cruising Speed 500 mph
Range 2800 statute miles
Length 21.3 ft.
Width 6.0 ft.
Height 5.8 ft.
Baggage Capacity 45 cubic ft.

Challenger 601

http://www.aviationbusinessindex.com...s/model/30.jpg

* Maximum speed: 882 km/h (476 knots, 548 mph)
* Cruise speed: 851 km/h, (459 knots, 529 mph)
* Range: 6,236 km (3,366 nm, 3,875 mi)
* Service ceiling: 12,500 m (41,000 ft)
* Rate of climb: 1,355 m/min (4,450 ft/min)

Captain Stradale 01-15-2010 06:04 PM

A friend of mine owns the Hawker, I have no idea about the challenger, But depending on how many passengers you get on board, for him, he says that its getting kinda tight for him and its fuel consumption and maintenance is quite high. So he getting rid of his and going for a falcon. Dont know much about the falcon either, I just quoting what he said

Jetpilot718 01-15-2010 06:23 PM

Hawaii is going to be tough in the Hawker.. especially in the winter. I'm not typed in either of these, but I do know from a pilot's perspective that the Challenger is a better aircraft. Something you should also consider in ownership is fuel consumption. I'm pretty sure the challenger burns more per hour, but not sure by how much. Also, compare average maintenance costs of each craft. This really is easy info to find, you just need to know what questions to ask. You'll definately want the extra range of the Challenger if you plan on doing Hawaii. Plus, it's a wider more substantial cabin to sit in for that kind of flight.

bradb1us 01-15-2010 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot718 (Post 497854)
Hawaii is going to be tough in the Hawker.. especially in the winter. I'm not typed in either of these, but I do know from a pilot's perspective that the Challenger is a better aircraft. Something you should also consider in ownership is fuel consumption. I'm pretty sure the challenger burns more per hour, but not sure by how much. Also, compare average maintenance costs of each craft. This really is easy info to find, you just need to know what questions to ask. You'll definately want the extra range of the Challenger if you plan on doing Hawaii. Plus, it's a wider more substantial cabin to sit in for that kind of flight.

I found a comparison chart that showed the estimated costs per hour, all things being equal (fuel). I can't find it right now (I bookmarked it at my office), but the Hawker was significantly cheaper per hour versus the Challenger. That leads me to believe that the Hawker consumed less fuel and was more reliable, but I'm not 100% sure.

bradb1us 01-15-2010 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Stradale (Post 497841)
A friend of mine owns the Hawker, I have no idea about the challenger, But depending on how many passengers you get on board, for him, he says that its getting kinda tight for him and its fuel consumption and maintenance is quite high. So he getting rid of his and going for a falcon. Dont know much about the falcon either, I just quoting what he said

I have a Citation V, so the Hawker seems like a mansion to me.

The Falcons are interesting to me, too...

JarodL 01-16-2010 12:10 AM

PM Marc, he is in the business and can help you out.

Hernando 01-16-2010 10:46 AM

The Hawker is going to be much cheaper to operate than that Challenger. I would say that they are not in the same class of airplane either. A brand new Hawker would around $12 million and a brand new 605 +20 million. So it's not really a fair comparison. The Challenger is going to have the most comfortable cabin, in fact it's roomier than the cabin in a Gulfstream, just a bit shorter though.

If you don't mind the operating costs then I would definitely go with the 601. The comparison to do here would be between a 601 a G200, a GII or III, and a 605. The 601, GII & III can be found for very good prices. Whereas a G200 or 605 are very expensive. The older ones have the same cabin size and about the same range, the 605 will have a much longer range but also much more expensive. So the amount of money you spend in purchasing and operating the older ones will be way less than if you buy a newer more efficient one. They all have cross country range, but you can get a larger cabin for less money if you buy the 601.

The comparison for the Hawker at that price would be between an Astra, G150, Citation Excel, Lear 55-60. I would go with a Citation Excel way before getting a Hawker 800. Hawkers are known to be maintenance hogs, where as Citation's are far more reliable. Plus Beechcraft support isn't as good as Citation Service, not to mention you have a Citation Center near you.

Anyways, If I were you, and I was looking at only the two airplanes you mentioned. I would go with the 601. Just make sure it's not near it's overhaul time because that can be very expensive. Make sure it has a good avionics package. Have your pilot look it over.

Also, ask Marc, he is in the business.

Marc 01-17-2010 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot718 (Post 497854)

Range in the 601 is better. Hawaii in an XP from Cali is not advisable your range will be close. I have a client in Cali I sold his XP and we bought a G200 to make sure on range. The 600 series in General from the 600-605 has a bad wing and limited take off weights. XP is much less to run the 601 is a Heavy the XP is a mid. If you need PM me I can email you the C&D on both.

ECB 01-17-2010 07:35 PM

ever thought about the G200 or G300?

I think they even the 300 requires less operating costs than the 601 but has a larger range

I`m no biz jet jockey though..

Hernando 01-17-2010 10:11 PM

Marc always has some good advice. It is his business after all. I would ask him what he thought about it.