Notices
Aventador | Huracán | Murcielago | Gallardo Aventador, Huracán, Murcielago, Gallardo, Superleggera, Coupe & Roadster Discussion Forum.

Aventador or 458

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
kato25 is on a distinguished roadkato25 is on a distinguished roadkato25 is on a distinguished roadkato25 is on a distinguished roadkato25 is on a distinguished roadkato25 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Superfly
I've driven a 458. Absolutely awesome car. I've been a passenger in an SV, also a complete thrill ride. I've never been inside an Aventador. But if it's the improvement over the LP640 that all the reviews say it is, I wouldn't hesitate to order that one.

Welcome to the Team. Looking forward to pics of your 8C. That's one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Is yours a Euro car or did you get it in Canada? Oh, and where in this great land of ours are you?

Again, welcome to the Team.
Thanks superfly. My 8C is a euro car. I'm between vancouver and montreal (most times in Vancouver tho). How about you?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Lambo used a single clutch box because currently there are no reliable DCT boxes that can handle that type of power. There have been dozens of 458 customers with transmission issues, some requiring complete replacement. The 458 DCT is a Getrag box which is being platform shared across multiple brands as well with slight differences. That comes with more weight + more parts to break. The DCT's are not vastly superior at all, just a much smoother and more refined gear change. Also very little actual race experience with DCT boxes in general, I don't think that is going to be a factor in the Aventador's value. Many people preferred the Scuds gear change vs 458 as a comparison.

Last edited by Ramius; 01-04-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
deanoflaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Comparison of supercars

I've owned a 458 for a year. Every time I take her out its like we're one with the road. Transmission is silky smooth and the suspension and handling is so perfect that the car seems to be able to predict what I want at the same millisecond that I think it. The car is sexy but by no means Aventador sexy. In the looks department if the Ferrari is a 10 the Lambo is a 12!

I drove the Lambo for about an hour. Clearly not the same seat time that I have in my 458 but enough to know that the single clutch e-trans is much rougher than the Ferrari. If you're shifting at 7500+ rpm its really quick and fairly smooth. Shift at 3000rpm and their is terrible lagging. Its hard to drive the Aventador therefore in regular city traffic. The carbon fiber bucket is also way harsher on normal everyday road imperfections. But pull a couple of shifts at the upper end of the range and you are amazed at the cars power and handling.

When you get out of the Aventador anywhere you are quickly mobbed by everyone within a mile who just want to get close to the car and gawk. Camera phones were everywhere and people were screaming. I have people who are excited about the 458 but the Aventador causes hysteria.

So in the end I am not selling my 458 for the Lambo but I did place my order on the Lambo (maybe a year for delivery I'm told) and they'll both comfortably reside in my garage Am I nuts? Yes for sure. Do I care about depreciation? No, not really. My gut tells me that the Ferrari will not fall quite as fast as the Lambo but that is just an educated guess.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
falb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond repute
My understanding is that the Avent uses the single clutch box because they needed a smaller transmission to fit. Then they justified it as having a more abrupt shift and that was a plus. The dual clutch units have proven to be very robust with two wet clutches and can handle all the power you throw at them. Generally a much smoother shift with less driveline shock. Remember the old SMG boxes in the bimmers.

The Aventador has fantastic performance and based on what I have read it is a faster car than the 458 in all respects. The 458 does seem like a more nimble car, RWD fun, extremely high praise for its "driver car" feel, and it is 3/4 of the price.

If it was me I would get a 12C but I am biased.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
falb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deanoflaw
Nice collection Dean.... Would love to hear more about the Stasis R8.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kato25
Thanks superfly. My 8C is a euro car. I'm between vancouver and montreal (most times in Vancouver tho). How about you?
Most times Edmonton, but a fair few visits to Vancouver annually.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=falb;1203863Remember the old SMG boxes in the bimmers.
[/QUOTE]

which caused a lot of trouble and unhappy faces back then,..

Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
kato25 is on a distinguished roadkato25 is on a distinguished roadkato25 is on a distinguished roadkato25 is on a distinguished roadkato25 is on a distinguished roadkato25 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deanoflaw
I've owned a 458 for a year. Every time I take her out its like we're one with the road. Transmission is silky smooth and the suspension and handling is so perfect that the car seems to be able to predict what I want at the same millisecond that I think it. The car is sexy but by no means Aventador sexy. In the looks department if the Ferrari is a 10 the Lambo is a 12!

I drove the Lambo for about an hour. Clearly not the same seat time that I have in my 458 but enough to know that the single clutch e-trans is much rougher than the Ferrari. If you're shifting at 7500+ rpm its really quick and fairly smooth. Shift at 3000rpm and their is terrible lagging. Its hard to drive the Aventador therefore in regular city traffic. The carbon fiber bucket is also way harsher on normal everyday road imperfections. But pull a couple of shifts at the upper end of the range and you are amazed at the cars power and handling.

When you get out of the Aventador anywhere you are quickly mobbed by everyone within a mile who just want to get close to the car and gawk. Camera phones were everywhere and people were screaming. I have people who are excited about the 458 but the Aventador causes hysteria.

So in the end I am not selling my 458 for the Lambo but I did place my order on the Lambo (maybe a year for delivery I'm told) and they'll both comfortably reside in my garage Am I nuts? Yes for sure. Do I care about depreciation? No, not really. My gut tells me that the Ferrari will not fall quite as fast as the Lambo but that is just an educated guess.
Deanoflaw, What an impressive collection of cars you've got.
Thank you, for a very quality perspective/experience. It is very much appreciated.
Much respect to you my friend.

Last edited by kato25; 01-06-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by falb
My understanding is that the Avent uses the single clutch box because they needed a smaller transmission to fit. Then they justified it as having a more abrupt shift and that was a plus. The dual clutch units have proven to be very robust with two wet clutches and can handle all the power you throw at them. Generally a much smoother shift with less driveline shock. Remember the old SMG boxes in the bimmers.

The Aventador has fantastic performance and based on what I have read it is a faster car than the 458 in all respects. The 458 does seem like a more nimble car, RWD fun, extremely high praise for its "driver car" feel, and it is 3/4 of the price.

If it was me I would get a 12C but I am biased.
Have you got delivery of your 12C? perhaps you can share some fun experience.
Just out of curiocity, why did you pick the 12C over 458? (would really love to hear thoughts)
I have lots of respect for the 12C in the tech dept, i love the car, but i'm just not sold yet on the styling, and interior design.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member

Just came across these...
I'm getting close to my decision...
It has been a very though one.

What do you think judging with the pictures?

Have fun guys!

Attached Images         

Quick Reply: Aventador or 458