Notices
Aston Martin | Jaguar | Lotus Vanquish, Vantage, Rapide, DBS, DB9, XKR, Exige, Elise, Esprit, & More Discussion Forum.

Seeking input on buying a V12 Vantage or DBS

Old 05-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Vernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura about
Seeking input on buying a V12 Vantage or DBS

I've started researching a new daily driver and may be considering an Aston for that duty. I want something unique but not too flashy. Somewhat reasonably reliable and comfortable (not necessarily luxurious) while also being rewarding when pushed. Only need it to carry me (and occasionally my wife) to and from, 4 doors not required. We have a wagon for the "family" trips.

Recently I started looking at the V12 Vantage and like the concept of big engine in smaller, more responsive chassis. Sounds like a fun car, but not as raw as my 4.0. Potentially something I could drive daily.

Alternatively there is the DBS, which to me is slightly more aesthetically pleasing. Sort of torn at the moment.

Anyone own(ed) one or both? Any sage advice you may provide is appreciated!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Can't go wrong with either of these cars!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
I vote for the V12 Vantage, will probably hold it's value better and is just all around awesome.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:59 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
R O B I N is just really niceR O B I N is just really niceR O B I N is just really niceR O B I N is just really niceR O B I N is just really niceR O B I N is just really niceR O B I N is just really niceR O B I N is just really niceR O B I N is just really niceR O B I N is just really niceR O B I N is just really nice
Go james Bond. Power, Beauty, Soul.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:12 AM
Teamspeed Contributing Editor
Oversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond repute
As a daily driver, the DBS is probably the better bet. It rides better and looks better, but still has a gratifying howl when you're into it.

The V12 Vantage is definitely the more focussed car, but if you've got a 4.0, then you already have a very driver-focussed car, and you'll want something a bit less hard-edged. Plus you can get the DBS in auto if you want, whereas the V12 Vantage can only be had in manual.

I've driven both extensively and the DBS is better as a daily. More room, better at long distances and is more comfortable.

My 2c.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Oversteer Overlord
As a daily driver, the DBS is probably the better bet. It rides better and looks better, but still has a gratifying howl when you're into it.

The V12 Vantage is definitely the more focussed car, but if you've got a 4.0, then you already have a very driver-focussed car, and you'll want something a bit less hard-edged. Plus you can get the DBS in auto if you want, whereas the V12 Vantage can only be had in manual.

I've driven both extensively and the DBS is better as a daily. More room, better at long distances and is more comfortable.

My 2c.
pretty much spot on - agree

plus the DBS is the apex of beauty in cars

Old 05-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
jonbkay is an unknown quantity at this point
Agree with the quotes above. As your second car, teh V12V is the one but as a DD if you already have such a focussed car, the DBS is the only sensible thing to do

Having said that, you then have to decide manual or auto. A manual DBS is a lot of fun whilst being much more suitable as a DD than a V12V because it's still less raw but as it is a DD, do you then consider the auto box ?!?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Oversteer Overlord

My 2c.
Nailed it.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jonbkay
Agree with the quotes above. As your second car, teh V12V is the one but as a DD if you already have such a focussed car, the DBS is the only sensible thing to do

Having said that, you then have to decide manual or auto. A manual DBS is a lot of fun whilst being much more suitable as a DD than a V12V because it's still less raw but as it is a DD, do you then consider the auto box ?!?
Stay manual. Auto box Aston's are crap.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:13 AM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
V12 Vantage for sure

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seeking input on buying a V12 Vantage or DBS