Notices
Aston Martin | Jaguar | Lotus Vanquish, Vantage, Rapide, DBS, DB9, XKR, Exige, Elise, Esprit, & More Discussion Forum.

Are all early Vanuqish to be avoided?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Are all early Vanuqish to be avoided?

Am I just asking for trouble?

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

I love the ass, and I love the name, Vanquish, such an ass kicking name.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond repute
Nope, as far as reliabilty goes my previous non-S Vanquish was far more reliable than my current 'S'...

Let me know if you want a detailed list of what to look for!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Vanq
Nope, as far as reliabilty goes my previous non-S Vanquish was far more reliable than my current 'S'...

Let me know if you want a detailed list of what to look for!
OK, here goes:

1. How's fit and finish? My E46 M3 was terrible, trim pieces falling off, etc. Is the build quality solid, it being hand built in the UK and all?

2. How's the transmission compare to other similar trannies like BMW SMG or Audi DSG, which is more similar in terms of driving feel?

3. Many people complain about the flappy gearbox. I happen to like SMG type tranny. Has it been reliable? Or is it more like the F355 F1 gearbox where it eats a clutch in 20K miles?

4. It looks like the NAV is somewhere down below the stereo, is it ergonomic, can you see anything when you are driving with it being down that low?

5. What should one look for when buying a used one? Any particular issue to checkout?

6. Does the 2+2 configuration come with LATCH?

Thanks!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Uneducated comment, but here goes.

It's NOT going to be be Audi DSG ... audi is twin clutch, certainly not the AM.

I'm pretty sure it's closer to the 355 than anything ...

Old 06-16-2009, 04:05 AM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
Clarkson hated the transmission IIRC. $.02

Old 06-16-2009, 04:40 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
ishmerc is an unknown quantity at this point
the driver seat look pretty worn for a car with 10k mile

Old 06-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
OK, here goes:
1. How's fit and finish? My E46 M3 was terrible, trim pieces falling off, etc. Is the build quality solid, it being hand built in the UK and all?
The build quality is solid I would say, especially on the later MY's. The dashboard does however feel "plasticky", knobs and buttons are sadly not of very high quality. They wont however come off. Other than that there is really nothing major I can complain about. The seats will wear out quickly, something to do with the very soft leather they are made of.

2. How's the transmission compare to other similar trannies like BMW SMG or Audi DSG, which is more similar in terms of driving feel?
The gearbox is IMO not suited to this car. If anything you can compare it to the very early Ferrari F1's.

3. Many people complain about the flappy gearbox. I happen to like SMG type tranny. Has it been reliable? Or is it more like the F355 F1 gearbox where it eats a clutch in 20K miles?
If the clutch lasted you 20K miles, I would be genuinely surprised! I've had to replace it once after only 13K, but then again I did daily drive it during a period of time and start-stop traffic is just as bad (if not worse) than driving enthusiastically. Upshifts can be jerky and downshifts take too long.
I drive mine very hard and I'm not the sort of person that cares about voiding warranties and stuff so my car has broken down many times but like I said, it has a lot to do with the way you drive.
If you baby it I guess it isn't that bad but I dont see the point of getting a car like that if your're not going to enjoy it properly.

4. It looks like the NAV is somewhere down below the stereo, is it ergonomic, can you see anything when you are driving with it being down that low?
It's OK at best, AM's Navi units not very accurate even if you look past the ergonomics. If you want a very sophisticated and modern interior, you should take a look at the 07's:
2007 Aston Martin Vanquish S - Interior - 1280x960 - Wallpaper

5. What should one look for when buying a used one? Any particular issue to checkout?
Yes, first thing I would check is clutch-life, if its been replaced etc. Also make sure to test if the clutch slips when chaning gears, its a common issue.
Check servicebooks for geabox issue's such as replaced gasket's, overheating and broken cogs.
Also I would inspect the rear suspension considering it will have to be replaced sooner or later, and that's not an easy job, nor is it cheap. Also brakes are very expensive, make sure they are not due to be replaced soon. I would recommend you get the 'S' over the standard one, the exhaust is to DIE for.

6. Does the 2+2 configuration come with LATCH?
Honestly, forget the "back seats", they're useless unless you dont have legs!

As a final point I wanna mention the "Works Service" department. You can send them your car (UK) and they'll customize it to your specification. I'm having my 'S' sent there in about a months time to have it converted to a Manual, will probably also to do some interior upgrades, new brakes and exhaust. I just recieved a quote from them and it's enough to make me , but it's worth it to me as I just adore this damn car and the way it sounds!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
Am I just asking for trouble?

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

I love the ass, and I love the name, Vanquish, such an ass kicking name.
Is that a (gulp) cassette deck?

Old 06-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Griza will become famous soon enoughGriza will become famous soon enoughGriza will become famous soon enoughGriza will become famous soon enoughGriza will become famous soon enoughGriza will become famous soon enoughGriza will become famous soon enough
Exhaust on The Vanquish is ridiculous! One of the best sounds cars I have ever heard. I saw a Vanq yesterday, I love it and the name as well.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by The Vanq
As a final point I wanna mention the "Works Service" department. You can send them your car (UK) and they'll customize it to your specification. I'm having my 'S' sent there in about a months time to have it converted to a Manual, will probably also to do some interior upgrades, new brakes and exhaust. I just recieved a quote from them and it's enough to make me , but it's worth it to me as I just adore this damn car and the way it sounds!
Bump, can you post some review on how your Vanq is now after Works Service?

Quick Reply: Are all early Vanuqish to be avoided?