Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Left exhaust black, right exhaust clean?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
ablee2323 is on a distinguished roadablee2323 is on a distinguished roadablee2323 is on a distinguished roadablee2323 is on a distinguished road
Left exhaust black, right exhaust clean?

Hi guys. I think I may have humiliated myself on my last post, which I won't refer to, but am still a loyal follower on this great site.

I drive an 08 C4S. Great, no past problems. For servicing I go to Porsche center. About 2-3 months ago, I've noticed:

1. Drinking a lot more oil despite driving less in these cold winter months. 49K kilometers on the clock

2. White plume of smoke at start up, but then clears

3. Left exhaust is black while the right is clean, almost too clean

Any thoughts would be grateful. Car runs fine, no warning lights.

Attached Images   
Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
suncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond repute
Is the car still under warranty? Visit a dealer, see what they can find. If they can't find an issue, they can start a consumption test.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:37 AM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
The white smoke at start up is Normal for 911's. Not sure about the other issues.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Teamspeed Member
FASTLANE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!FASTLANE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!FASTLANE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!FASTLANE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!FASTLANE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!FASTLANE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!FASTLANE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!FASTLANE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!FASTLANE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!FASTLANE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!FASTLANE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I know the exaust being dirty on the left side and cleaner on the right is common. I had the same thing on my 997 but like others said I would check with dealer. Have you gone under the car to check for oil leaking anywhere?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
mrzoop is an unknown quantity at this point
A very important post that you may want to follow...

Scored cylinder - awaiting reman. from porsche - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura about
Check with the center muffler!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:14 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
ablee2323 is on a distinguished roadablee2323 is on a distinguished roadablee2323 is on a distinguished roadablee2323 is on a distinguished road
So I took it to the Porsche center and they said the oil separator had to be replaced. Thankfully under warranty. They had it three days, apparently have to take the engine out to replace this part. Didn't mind as I enjoyed a nice C2S PDK.

Just got it back and I notice no or very little plume on start up and will be gauging oil consumption. Hopefully this was the issue.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:23 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
kooszee is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, I have the same problem with my '03 996 3.6 engine. Was the problem realy the seperator or scored bores??
Please help me out on this problem.
Thnkx.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:13 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
After the oil separator was replaced, there is no plume of smoke at start up. Before the replacement, I want to make clear, the plume of smoke was embarrassingly large and not always white, sometime blue.

That said, the left vs right issue is still with me, though not as pronounced. On the scored bores, I have to admit I can't recall they checked this. I'm due in for a full service check up and will confirm this. Car though is running just great.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ErikD has much to be proud ofErikD has much to be proud ofErikD has much to be proud ofErikD has much to be proud ofErikD has much to be proud ofErikD has much to be proud ofErikD has much to be proud ofErikD has much to be proud ofErikD has much to be proud ofErikD has much to be proud ofErikD has much to be proud of
How is the exhaust set up on These cars? In some cases it usually means the cylinders that that exhaust feeds from are running richer on the side where it's darker. Or is that not the case with this?

Quick Reply: Left exhaust black, right exhaust clean?