Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Real world pricing

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute
Real world pricing

I see that 996 C2s are covering a huge range in pricing lately. What should I actualy be paying for a good example? The thing is I need LSD and the way I understand it is that it was only an option on the 99s?

All these 996 C2s coming up for sale around 30k, are these beat up or has the market on these actually gone that soft??

Old 03-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
jstgermaine is an unknown quantity at this point
The market price (in my research) varies quite a bit by region.

Here in the Midwest, the market is VERY soft due to the economy and season. I have my 99 listed at what I feel is a 'fair' price with the mods and service records I have. My car is no garage queen and has it's fair share of 'normal' wear both inside and out.

Here are my specs (I am NOT trying to sell it here):

1999 996
Black on Black
55,056 miles
MKI Sides and front bumper (bumper is not installed)
LSD6-Speed
Full Leather Interior
M030 (US Spec) Suspension

These are the following parts included at my asking price of $31,500.00:
H&R RSS Clubsport Coil Overs (5,000 miles)
GT3 Sways front and rear with TRG drop links (5,000miles)
Victor Equipment LeMans Wheels (3,000 miles with near new tires)
Recaro SPG XL seats in Red
Fabspeed Bypass Pipes
M&K Performance Exhaust
OE Sport Exhaust Tips

The following maintenance has been done in the last 5,000 miles:

Clutch
New Pads, Rotors
New Bilstein Sport Shocks/H&R Springs (removed for the H&Rs 2500 miles)
60K service

I would realistically sell my car without any mods for $29K but I am looking for a buyer that wants it all.

I have had only two feelers from potential buyers and no real interest. In my situation, I don't have to sell, but am looking to offset the purchase price of a TT.

I have seen a few 99-01s sell in my area with 30-50K on them for $25-32K.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
i think it really depends on time of year, location ect. When i sold my 99 C4, the market said 35 or so, no more. I got 40K for it. I guess it depends on how bad you want to sell/or buy. I would beware of low cost 996's personally. No real logic behind it, just that someone trying to dump a car, usually has a reason they will "forget" to mention.

jerry, nice car and very good price i think! To cheap!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
ihuangeri is a splendid one to beholdihuangeri is a splendid one to beholdihuangeri is a splendid one to beholdihuangeri is a splendid one to beholdihuangeri is a splendid one to beholdihuangeri is a splendid one to beholdihuangeri is a splendid one to beholdihuangeri is a splendid one to beholdihuangeri is a splendid one to beholdihuangeri is a splendid one to beholdihuangeri is a splendid one to behold
I have my 01 c2 listed fs at $33k for almost the exact reasons as JSTgermaine. I absolutely love it, but would like to start saving up for an upgrade to a TT sometime in the near future.

Personally I've noticed that prices tend to dip around the winter times and peak up a bit during summer. I've had it passively listed for a while now and have just now been receiving more interest.

Perhaps people are backing off pcars due to the gas prices? In Santa Monica, I saw premium go as high as $4.40.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Robert and ihuangeri-

Thanks for the reply. I agree with both of you that when you are a seller in a buyers market it definately helps when you DONT have to sell.

As I posted earlier, I am not looking to dump my car and know that I could hold out for a few thousand more.

I have had mine listed for about a month now and like I said, I've had a few tire kickers, but no real interest in it. In my local area, the economy and job market is so bad that even my radiologist neighbor and good friend is moonlighting to make ends meet and continue the lifestyle he chooses to lead. Thus, the market for the 'fun' cars is slowing to a stop.

I'm not giving mine away during this season, but have priced it aggressively to offset most negotiation. Once the summer season starts, I'll put more miles on it (it's a heck of alot cheaper to drive the 996 than the Denali) and I will also increase the price of it. I have it slated for paint (the front has it's fair share of chips) the last week of April and if it goes in, I will definatley increase the price as it will have the full MKI Aero installed as well.

With the other 911s in the garage, my wifes cars and my truck, it's a bit hard to justify adding another sports car to the mix, but in a perfect world the 996 would stay put and the TT would just be an addition.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for all the replies. It's so weird to see these cars dropping in price so much, the 993s seem to have faired amazingly well though

Old 03-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by ///Milan
Thanks for all the replies. It's so weird to see these cars dropping in price so much, the 993s seem to have faired amazingly well though
Yep, my 97 has actually appreciated since I purchased it.

Bang for the buck with a prestigious name plate...you can't get much better than the early 996s.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
drew935 is an unknown quantity at this point
shoot if the market is that soft to bring down the price to near 25k, then I should start looking soon.