Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Thinking of buying a 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
parealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond repute
Thinking of buying a 996 turbo

Ive been kicking around the idea of picking up a 996 trubo for about 6 months but lately with what Ive seen in pricing Im considering it more and more.

what do I need to look out for? Im looking for a clean, low mileage and modified car. There are plenty out there it seems but since this is my first porsche I dont know what to look for when it comes to wear and tear and potential hazards.

any suggestions are appreciated

Old 05-05-2012, 02:56 PM
New OG
samuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond repute
I started to compile a list of potential issues on cars that I would like to buy in the future, the 996tt being one of them. Here's what I've gathered so far from different Porsche forums:

-MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor
-2nd gear popout **
-Coils/plugs
-Clutch accumulator
-Clutch wear
-Spoiler hydraulics leaks (fixed position modification possible)
-Radiator leaks
-Clutch slippage in higher gears under boost (common in chipped cars)
-RMS (Rear Main Seal) failure **-
-Window regulator

I hope this helps, there's certainly more but those are the ones that seemed to come back the most often.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Erppa You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Erppa You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Erppa You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Erppa You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Erppa You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Erppa You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Erppa You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Erppa You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Erppa You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Erppa You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Erppa You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
-MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor This is like 200 dollars
-2nd gear popout ** Fix it with this 2ND GEAR POP-OUT UPGRADE-GBOX Transmission
-Coils/plugs Well you have to change these on every car at some point
-Clutch accumulator Will set you back between 500-1000 at the dealer, several DIYs available
-Clutch wear 450 hp and awd not a big surprise is it?
-Spoiler hydraulics leaks (fixed position modification possible) This is true
-Radiator leaks These are 150 dollars each
-Clutch slippage in higher gears under boost (common in chipped cars) This is true
-RMS (Rear Main Seal) failure **- Really uncommon on the turbo engine. The NA cars have a lot of problems with the seal (not the GT3)
-Window regulator Easy DIY and about 200 dollars.

I think that the biggest part missing on this list is the front differential which will wear out, especially on tuned cars. Many people do RWD conversions.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
spend $300 and get a pip from a porsche dealership or reputable shop

Old 05-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Old 05-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
What is your budget?

Old 05-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
You want a modified car? I personally avoid any modded cars. They tend to be driven harder and you don't always know what was tinkered with.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
parealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond repute
I meant to say UNMODIFIED! sorry guys. wheels and exhaust are ok but would prefer bone stock and original owner in a perfect world.
Prices seem to be all over the place. I just missed out on a cobalt blue 2001 close to me that was priced under $45K with 38k miles. No budget, just has to be the right one. Of course the higher the price the more I would consider a 993 turbo instead unless it blew me away.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by parealtor
I meant to say UNMODIFIED! sorry guys. wheels and exhaust are ok but would prefer bone stock and original owner in a perfect world.
Prices seem to be all over the place. I just missed out on a cobalt blue 2001 close to me that was priced under $45K with 38k miles. No budget, just has to be the right one. Of course the higher the price the more I would consider a 993 turbo instead unless it blew me away.
There is a 997 turbo in northern NC (not too far from you) that i have already checked out...orginal owner...69k but that is a bit out side of 40-50k

Old 05-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by 997carrerasblk06
There is a 997 turbo in northern NC (not too far from you) that i have already checked out...orginal owner...69k but that is a bit out side of 40-50k
Details?

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 996 turbo