Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Thinking of buying a 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
parealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond repute
as I originally stated I really want a 993 turbo. Actually my perfect car would be a 1997 993 Turbo S in white. But since I dont have $150K or more lying around to blow on one; Ill have to settle for something else. I always liked the 996 turbo, even with the headlights that most take issue with. I think they are an incredible bang for the buck offering 415hp for around $60K. So thats where Im at. Im in no rush so if a 997 turbo comes along that fits the bill and the price is right that also is an option. I think that once Porsche starts selling the new turbo youll see even more 997's out there and prices will continue to decline. Unless Porsche prices the new turbo in close to $200K which will price a whole lot of people out of the market and that may help stabilize 997 pricing.

Thoughts?

Old 05-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
I really hope they don't do that but I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by parealtor
as I originally stated I really want a 993 turbo. Actually my perfect car would be a 1997 993 Turbo S in white. But since I dont have $150K or more lying around to blow on one; Ill have to settle for something else. I always liked the 996 turbo, even with the headlights that most take issue with. I think they are an incredible bang for the buck offering 415hp for around $60K. So thats where Im at. Im in no rush so if a 997 turbo comes along that fits the bill and the price is right that also is an option. I think that once Porsche starts selling the new turbo youll see even more 997's out there and prices will continue to decline. Unless Porsche prices the new turbo in close to $200K which will price a whole lot of people out of the market and that may help stabilize 997 pricing.

Thoughts?
I would expect to pay about 55K for a very very nice Turbo without a crazy ton of miles.

Like this:

Cars for Sale: 2003 Porsche 911 Turbo in Roslyn Heights, NY 11577: Coupe Details - 320705472 - AutoTrader.com

Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Excellent advice, carendt242.

Highly recommend sending your 996TT over to Sharkwerks for some magic. Don't need to go crazy if you don't want to spend too much, but they'll make sure it's running solid (and give it a little jolt for you).
yes, cared for by Sharkwerks since nearly day 1

- chuck

Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marc
^ Chuck knows his stuff when it comes to 996 Turbos he has done enough to his and he knows what the proper things to do are.
i would rather be more knowledgeable about 991 turbos

- chuck

Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carendt242
i would rather be more knowledgeable about 991 turbos

- chuck
That makes two of us LOL!!

Chuck and the others have hit most of the major things to look for. If you have any particular cars in mind post up the links and we can dig!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Former Sponsor
ECS Tuning - Porsche has a reputation beyond reputeECS Tuning - Porsche has a reputation beyond reputeECS Tuning - Porsche has a reputation beyond reputeECS Tuning - Porsche has a reputation beyond reputeECS Tuning - Porsche has a reputation beyond reputeECS Tuning - Porsche has a reputation beyond reputeECS Tuning - Porsche has a reputation beyond reputeECS Tuning - Porsche has a reputation beyond reputeECS Tuning - Porsche has a reputation beyond reputeECS Tuning - Porsche has a reputation beyond reputeECS Tuning - Porsche has a reputation beyond repute
996T is the supercar bargain of the century right now. 40K will buy you a good driver, and 60K will get you one in EXCELLENT shape. The GT1 engine is, by far, my favorite of all engines in the history of the world, and barring a few minor issues, is extraordinarily reliable.

This is also a car that responds quite well to modifications, so grab a tune and an exhaust, and you will be able to fight off 997Ts (let alone, the random Ferrari, Aston Martin, or Lamborghini) all day long, while enjoying daily drivable comfort and reliability.

Get a PPI done, and drive it like you stole it.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Teamspeed Pro
parealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone know the story with the black 2004 on sloan cars site?

Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know the story but they are smoking some good shit if they think that car is worth anywhere close to $65k.

The Seal Gray car would be a good buy at $50k or less. It's been nearly 6 months since I sold my Turbo and I'm not sure that prices have gone up that significantly, if at all.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
I was up at town motors in New Jersey yesterday and they had a sweet silver 996 GT2 there. They were asking $82K for it and it was already sold. Different car entirely but still very nice.

Not sure what to make of the black sloan car. They always seem to be much higher pricing than others but they also seem to have mint cars.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 996 turbo