Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

996tt gearbox Q

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Giorgos is an unknown quantity at this point
996tt gearbox Q

Hello,

This is my first post here,I m owner of a Cayman S manual.
Now I m looking to buy a 996tt,the only problem is that the 95% of the used cars in Greece are with tiptronic gearbox and I don t like it.Is it so difficult to change a tiptronic 996tt to a manual one?....Does it need a new ecu as well?

Old 10-16-2010, 03:24 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Don't try it is my suggestion, will destroy the value for one. Keep looking is my best advice and welcome to TEAMSPEED!

Old 10-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
salihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Giorgos
Hello,

This is my first post here,I m owner of a Cayman S manual.
Now I m looking to buy a 996tt,the only problem is that the 95% of the used cars in Greece are with tiptronic gearbox and I don t like it.Is it so difficult to change a tiptronic 996tt to a manual one?....Does it need a new ecu as well?
It involves awfully lot of parts. But it is not that a bad of a job actually. But as DJ said, it will destroy the value of the car. If you think you are going to keep and never sell it, then it is something considerable imo.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by salihbjk
It involves awfully lot of parts. But it is not that a bad of a job actually. But as DJ said, it will destroy the value of the car. If you think you are going to keep and never sell it, then it is something considerable imo.
Do you know which parts I have to change in this case?A friend has allready a 996tt manual gearbox..(he swapped his 996tt gearbox for a 997tt gearbox)

Old 10-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned
Freak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these parts
Send it to MKB like ninjaboy!!

Old 10-16-2010, 07:19 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Import one from Germany or U.S.A, It wouldnt be too hard if your import levels arent that high and you drive in Left side unlike Cyprus which have their steering wheels on the right.

I know member ECB who is german, he told me most of the 996TT's are auto's in Germany. I think its easier to find 996TT's in U.S especially with the conversion rates its in your favour with the euro to get it abroad.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond repute
I've got a 2001 996TT 6 speed manual for sale in the USA. It's in exceptional shape. Check out my TS advertisement and pictures, if your interested. (My 2011 TTS is here.)

Old 10-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Giorgos
Do you know which parts I have to change in this case?A friend has allready a 996tt manual gearbox..(he swapped his 996tt gearbox for a 997tt gearbox)
You will need the clutch pedal assembly and required adaption parts. Linkages, cables, etc. A clutch, flywheel, pressure plate. It's fairly labor intensive. I would recommend a shop doing it for you. But if you have the right tools and know how, go ahead and do it yourself.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
I do not recommend doing it yourself unless fixing cars is your job. Just keep looking.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:30 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
Import one from Germany or U.S.A, It wouldnt be too hard if your import levels arent that high and you drive in Left side unlike Cyprus which have their steering wheels on the right.

I know member ECB who is german, he told me most of the 996TT's are auto's in Germany. I think its easier to find 996TT's in U.S especially with the conversion rates its in your favour with the euro to get it abroad.

I can't,because I need 45000euros to buy a used 03 996tt in Germany and 40000 for import taxes....
The 996tt in Greece costs around 55000 euros.

I wonder if anyone did this swap in the past....

Quick Reply: 996tt gearbox Q