Notices
458 | 430 | 360 Ferrari 458 Italia, F430/360, Scuderia/Stradale, Discussion Forum.

[UPDATED 2-11-10] Barrister's Ferrari 360 Modena Buyer's Guide

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:51 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
When did you last get comps? It sounds far too expensive.

Remember, dealers have seriously adjusted servicing prices to get the business in over the last 2 years.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
SILVER360SPIDER is on a distinguished roadSILVER360SPIDER is on a distinguished road
Ocd

Originally Posted by Barrister
I took my 360 in to my mechanic for the annual service about 2 weeks ago.

My mechanic charges $995 for the annual service on my 360. That includes a laundry list of stuff and he usually has it in and out in two days.

Everything was fine and went as expected. He felt I could easily go another year without getting the cam belt major service and that my brakes will last another year as well.

This was good because between those two services I would be looking at about $6,000 - $4,000 for the cam belt major and $2,000 for new breaks. This would have been more money in one shot than I have spent in total on the car during the prior two years.

Then things took a turn for the worse.

During the months prior to the annual service, I noticed a light whining sound coming from the engine. I could not hear it while the engine was cold. But once the engine warmed up, it sounded like a belt was slightly loose. It was very annoying and just didn't sound right.

I had my mechanic check it out. He informed me that it was a loose cam bearing. You never want to hear the words "loose" and "cam" in the same sentence when talking about a 360.

He told me that the bearing would not likely fail entirely for quite some time but that I should keep my eye on it. Then he added that - if it did break - I should have the car towed in because running it would destroy the engine. I was like, WHAAAAAAT?!

I am OCD to the maximum and could never deal with that. So I asked him how much it would cost to replace the bearing. Then I got the bad news - there is no way to replace the bearing without basically completing the major belt service at the same time.

So I had a choice - wait and see if the loose bearing got any worse or just have my cam belt service a year early.

My mechanic didn't want to pressure me into the belt service and told me to wait. But I just can't do it. I scheduled the belt service for next week. He just got the last of the parts in on Friday.

I will let you all know how it goes. But suffice it to say, I am $4,000 lighter in the wallet.

These red-headed ladies are expensive!

Ugh.
I have the same disorder I guess, because I would have made the same decision. Good luck.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Just a quick update.

I got the 360 back last Friday. The work ran $3,600.

My mechanic always saves me wherever he can. I am positive that it cannot be done competently for any less.

This included the major cam and drive-belt service plus the bearing replacement.

This was a PITA but necessary.

The car drives great again with no untoward sounds. It really is a great car.

I cannot think of a better buy for the money right now.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
good to hear all is well mate^^^ Your Modena is top notch...hurts to hear when its not running well.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:43 AM
This won't end well
65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute
Forza had a buyers guide for 360's. INSANE deals right now!

Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by McRae
good to hear all is well mate^^^ Your Modena is top notch...hurts to hear when its not running well.
Funny thing is, it always ran fine. It was just that little whining sound.

Eventually, it could have turned into a real problem.

Originally Posted by 65°V12
Forza had a buyers guide for 360's. INSANE deals right now!
Some deals are deceptive - story cars and salvage titles. You should still be paying in the high $80 to low $90K for a clean, well-cared-for 2004 model.

The car picks up like a dream and handles as well as any car I have ever owned - even better than my Turbo.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:03 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Enjoy it you ginger demon.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:58 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
bullet50000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Does the "different mechanic than the one held by the dealer" rule still apply if the place is an actual Ferrari dealer? There's a 360 Spider I am considering at Ferrari of Denver

Old 11-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
futureferraribuyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Barrister
Just a quick update.

I got the 360 back last Friday. The work ran $3,600.

My mechanic always saves me wherever he can. I am positive that it cannot be done competently for any less.

This included the major cam and drive-belt service plus the bearing replacement.

This was a PITA but necessary.

The car drives great again with no untoward sounds. It really is a great car.

I cannot think of a better buy for the money right now.
Good deal! Who is your mechanic?