Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   458 | 430 | 360 (https://teamspeed.com/forums/458-430-360/)
-   -   [UPDATED 2-11-10] Barrister's Ferrari 360 Modena Buyer's Guide (https://teamspeed.com/forums/458-430-360/22724-updated-2-11-10-barristers-ferrari-360-modena-buyers-guide.html)

LABrit 11-07-2011 03:51 AM

When did you last get comps? It sounds far too expensive.

Remember, dealers have seriously adjusted servicing prices to get the business in over the last 2 years.

SILVER360SPIDER 11-07-2011 10:53 AM

Ocd

Originally Posted by Barrister (Post 1144758)
I took my 360 in to my mechanic for the annual service about 2 weeks ago.

My mechanic charges $995 for the annual service on my 360. That includes a laundry list of stuff and he usually has it in and out in two days.

Everything was fine and went as expected. He felt I could easily go another year without getting the cam belt major service and that my brakes will last another year as well.

This was good because between those two services I would be looking at about $6,000 - $4,000 for the cam belt major and $2,000 for new breaks. This would have been more money in one shot than I have spent in total on the car during the prior two years.

Then things took a turn for the worse.

During the months prior to the annual service, I noticed a light whining sound coming from the engine. I could not hear it while the engine was cold. But once the engine warmed up, it sounded like a belt was slightly loose. It was very annoying and just didn't sound right.

I had my mechanic check it out. He informed me that it was a loose cam bearing. You never want to hear the words "loose" and "cam" in the same sentence when talking about a 360.

He told me that the bearing would not likely fail entirely for quite some time but that I should keep my eye on it. Then he added that - if it did break - I should have the car towed in because running it would destroy the engine. I was like, WHAAAAAAT?!

I am OCD to the maximum and could never deal with that. So I asked him how much it would cost to replace the bearing. Then I got the bad news - there is no way to replace the bearing without basically completing the major belt service at the same time.

So I had a choice - wait and see if the loose bearing got any worse or just have my cam belt service a year early.

My mechanic didn't want to pressure me into the belt service and told me to wait. But I just can't do it. I scheduled the belt service for next week. He just got the last of the parts in on Friday.

I will let you all know how it goes. But suffice it to say, I am $4,000 lighter in the wallet.

These red-headed ladies are expensive!

Ugh.

I have the same disorder I guess, because I would have made the same decision. Good luck.

Barrister 11-23-2011 12:35 AM

Just a quick update.

I got the 360 back last Friday. The work ran $3,600.

My mechanic always saves me wherever he can. I am positive that it cannot be done competently for any less.

This included the major cam and drive-belt service plus the bearing replacement.

This was a PITA but necessary.

The car drives great again with no untoward sounds. It really is a great car.

I cannot think of a better buy for the money right now.

McRae 11-23-2011 12:42 AM

good to hear all is well mate^^^ Your Modena is top notch...hurts to hear when its not running well. :D

65°V12 11-23-2011 12:43 AM

Forza had a buyers guide for 360's. INSANE deals right now!

Barrister 11-23-2011 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by McRae (Post 1161959)
good to hear all is well mate^^^ Your Modena is top notch...hurts to hear when its not running well. :D

Funny thing is, it always ran fine. It was just that little whining sound.

Eventually, it could have turned into a real problem.

Originally Posted by 65°V12 (Post 1161960)
Forza had a buyers guide for 360's. INSANE deals right now!

Some deals are deceptive - story cars and salvage titles. You should still be paying in the high $80 to low $90K for a clean, well-cared-for 2004 model.

The car picks up like a dream and handles as well as any car I have ever owned - even better than my Turbo.

LABrit 11-23-2011 04:03 AM

Enjoy it you ginger demon.

bullet50000 11-15-2013 11:58 PM

Does the "different mechanic than the one held by the dealer" rule still apply if the place is an actual Ferrari dealer? There's a 360 Spider I am considering at Ferrari of Denver

futureferraribuyer 11-28-2013 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Barrister (Post 1161953)
Just a quick update.

I got the 360 back last Friday. The work ran $3,600.

My mechanic always saves me wherever he can. I am positive that it cannot be done competently for any less.

This included the major cam and drive-belt service plus the bearing replacement.

This was a PITA but necessary.

The car drives great again with no untoward sounds. It really is a great car.

I cannot think of a better buy for the money right now.

Good deal! Who is your mechanic?