Notices
Travel | Hotels & Resorts | Restaurants & Food Share Experiences From Your Favorite Hotels & Restaurants From Around The Globe.

New York

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Panayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nice
New York

Hi all,

Im heading to NYC in early May (last minute decision) and I've never been. I just wanted to ask for some advice regarding which area would best to look for a hotel in. To me its a maze, and the only knowledge I have of New York is from what I've seen on TV/Movies, which means not much at all.

In addition to the typical tourist attractions, Id be keen to hear from locals as to what the best places are to spend time in. Finally, I'm probably going to head out of New York City for a few days, just to see the surrounding areas, any areas that are a must visit? I'll be driving if that makes a difference.

Sorry for the vague post, its just that Ive got little time to arrange anything given work commitments.

Pete

Old 03-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
maxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond repute
Stay in the hotels around Time Square. Ditch the car as it will be easier to take cabs and subway. There's endless things to do there.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Panayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nice
Thanks, the car I'll get when I venture out of the city. There are so many things to do, 9 days in new York doesn't seem like enough!

Old 03-17-2013, 01:21 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
maxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond reputemaxemus has a reputation beyond repute
Pete
It's the greatest city on earth. You need to see a play, the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, fifth avenue, take your wife to china town, little Italy etc etc. enjoy it

Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Teamspeed Member
ebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enough
Hi there!

make sure you go to Sarabeth's Central Park! amazing breakfast/brunch..

Sarabeth's Central Park South | Brunch, Lunch and Dinner in Midtown NYC

As for a place to stay, I personally liked The London

New York City Luxury Hotel | The London NYC | Manhattan

Hope this helps and safe travels!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ramius You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Panayiotis
Thanks, the car I'll get when I venture out of the city. There are so many things to do, 9 days in new York doesn't seem like enough!
Unfortunately its more then enough. NYC has become extremely commercialized(especially Manhattan), losing a lot of its cool factor and flair. Times Square is just a huge tribute to rampant consumerism. Tourists shopping for things that aren't even made in NY or the US for that matter. You'll soon realize there has been nothing interesting added to the city in maybe 50 years. "Little Italy" is none existent in Manhattan you better off going to Arthur Avenue for the few remaining bakery's and 10th generation "Italians". As recommended by previous posters, you are better off sticking to the filthy subway vs the hassle/expense of a car, at least it's an experience. Don't bother leaving Manhattan to be honest. I'm sure the other boroughs have much more interesting and vibrant neighborhoods(less gentrified), but most of NY outside of Manhattan is not very aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited by Ramius; 04-15-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:04 AM
Posts in the nude.
Mixtape has a reputation beyond reputeMixtape has a reputation beyond reputeMixtape has a reputation beyond reputeMixtape has a reputation beyond reputeMixtape has a reputation beyond reputeMixtape has a reputation beyond reputeMixtape has a reputation beyond reputeMixtape has a reputation beyond reputeMixtape has a reputation beyond reputeMixtape has a reputation beyond reputeMixtape has a reputation beyond repute
And watch a sunset from the top of Rockefeller.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
1. You MUST check out the view from the rooftop of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It opens May 1 and you can go up until the early evening. You are just above the tree tops in central park and it offers perhaps the finest panoramic view of NYC.

2. The Highline: this is an old above ground train rail that was converted to a pedestrian garden. It extends from Midtown West to the Meatpacking district. The landscaping is beautiful and the walkway winds you through some of NYC's most charming areas. I suggest stopping at The Chelsea Markets for a bite to eat. The Market is a bustling indoor venue with boutiques and eateries from all over the world.

3. Traveling Outside of Manhattan: definitely spend a day walking over the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn. Once there, I suggest exploring the neighborhood of Park Slope and Prospect Park--- The Gardens at Prospect Park are not to be missed. They are literally the finest I have seen in my life. The Japanese and Rose gardens could very well be the highlight of your trip. Park slope has tones of neat restaurants and some fun beer gardens.

I would actually advise against staying in a Times Square hotel. I understand the tourist appeal, but in Mid-May TS can be down right annoying due to the overcrowding. I suggest a hotel closer to central park and plan visiting TS one day. You won't see anything here you wouldn't see at any mall in America- only bigger and with more lights. No one who actually lives here goes to times square to hang out- ever.

Driving during your NYC stay will be a hassle. I suggest downloading hopstop app on your phone and using the subway/cabs.

Last edited by HarveyMushman; 04-15-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ramius
Unfortunately its more then enough. NYC has become extremely commercialized(especially Manhattan), losing a lot of its cool factor and flair. Times Square is just a huge tribute to rampant consumerism. Tourists shopping for things that aren't even made in NY or the US for that matter. You'll soon realize there has been nothing interesting added to the city in maybe 50 years. "Little Italy" is none existent in Manhattan you better off going to Arthur Avenue for the few remaining bakery's and 10th generation "Italians". As recommended by previous posters, you are better off sticking to the filthy subway vs the hassle/expense of a car, at least it's an experience. Don't bother leaving Manhattan to be honest. I'm sure the other boroughs have much more interesting and vibrant neighborhoods(less gentrified), but most of NY outside of Manhattan is not very aesthetically pleasing.
Aside from the Times Square comment, disregard this post.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond repute
Be sure to check out Sleep No More
Sleep No More

Quick Reply: New York