Notices
The Teamspeed Music Forum General Music Discussions, Trends, Instruments, Equipment, Pro Audio, Driving Music, & More.

Learning to play guitar

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
jay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond repute
Learning to play guitar

I think I'm finally patient to learn the acoustic guitar. My brother is lending me his old Fender, and I think I'm gonna take guitar 100 at school next semester. Until then, I'm gonna make sure its in tune and start fooling around.

Any helpful hints? I don't expect much, but I figure if I stick with it for a few years I could eventually get decent, which is all I'm looking for.

Cheers!

~Jay

Old 10-28-2008, 03:08 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
just be patient and make it fun.
Try to learn some of your favorite songs after you knock out a few chords.
Lots of how to vids on youtube as well.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DJ
just be patient and make it fun.
Try to learn some of your favorite songs after you knock out a few chords.
Lots of how to vids on youtube as well.
Thanks DJ!

I think I've finally developed the patience it takes to learn something like the guitar...I'll give it a few years and see what happens.

Cheers!

Old 10-29-2008, 01:48 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Lgebbers has a reputation beyond reputeLgebbers has a reputation beyond reputeLgebbers has a reputation beyond reputeLgebbers has a reputation beyond reputeLgebbers has a reputation beyond reputeLgebbers has a reputation beyond reputeLgebbers has a reputation beyond reputeLgebbers has a reputation beyond reputeLgebbers has a reputation beyond reputeLgebbers has a reputation beyond reputeLgebbers has a reputation beyond repute
And ask, ask alot(PM me or friends that play for a few years)
A good starting point is to tune your guitar...play on it like crazy(doesn't have to sound good yet) for 2 min or something and tune it again...do that for the next week or something.
If your brother didn't played on it in the last few month, the guitar will get out of tune in just a few minutes.
That really annoying, but if you do that for one week(maybe a bit more maybe less) you have to tune your guitar just once and not every 5 min or something.
Just a thing i did when I started.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Jeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the rough
If you are looking forward to learn Acoustic Guitar you have to be more patient, some what logical your mind should be than you can easily learn guitar within one month.

Jeanguitar

Old 01-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Speedracer997 is an unknown quantity at this point
And pick up the thing every day no matter what, make sure it is on a stand near where you occupy regularly...

Last edited by Russ; 01-09-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Speedracer997 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you search Youtube you will see a bunch of free lessons for various songs and techniques, this is how I started and eventually found my teacher through here...its free and youll learn a heck of a lot..

CHeers

Old 01-12-2009, 02:49 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Jeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the roughJeanguitar is a jewel in the rough
Post Acoustic Guitar Lessons

I agree with you speedracer997, even I have learned playing guitar from you tubes only they provide free and new techniques of playing guitar. I would like to share some sites who provide online free classes.
Totally Guitars
YouTube - Guitar Lesson- Time In A Bottle - Jim Croce
YouTube - Guitar Lesson- Sunshine Of Your Love

Go through once on these sites definitely you would feel better.

Jeanguitar

Old 01-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Official TS Crybaby - Forever
Ryan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond reputeRyan in SD has a reputation beyond repute
I'd say a good thing to do when starting out is to try and learn an easy song. That way, you'll feel like your accomplishing something and will be more apt to stick with it. Have fun

Old 01-24-2009, 04:07 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Jay - here is a little video clip I made for you quickly on my Taylor 614 to show you why I picked up the guitar...hint hint I heard this lick on the radio when I was 13yrs old and said "Ummmmm Dad can I have a guitar please"

YouTube - Dead or Alive Quik Intro

Quick Reply: Learning to play guitar