Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Personal Protection Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BDSK You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by b9ev
My daily carry is a 1911 as well. However, for a first time gun owner to learn to strip and clean, the 1911 is a lot more complex than a Glock.
Thanks for the input. Being a first time owner, I would prefer a piece that is as least complex and easy to use as possible. I've been told Revolver's work well for a first timer. How would you compare a .38 double action Revolver vs. a Glock?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm with CFC; Glock 19 is one of the best carry weapons ever. If you want some firearms and weapons concealment training, fly out here to OK.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
b9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond repute
Revolvers are very simple to use and clean. A .38 special is a good defense round, especialy in +P. The downside to a revolver is the width of the cylinder, which will dictate the concealability. A double action revolver will be ready to fire every time you pull the trigger (unless there is a bad round). If there is a bad round, pull the trigger again and the cylinder will rotate another round to fire. It will never jam due to a feeding issue or an ejection issue like a semi-auto may.

For a revolver, I recommend getting a smaller framed .357 such as the Ruger SP101. You can shoot .38 out of it but it leaves the option of shooting 357 as well. I own a Ruger GP but that's because I don't need to conceal it and the bigger frame makes the 357 rounds super soft to shoot.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Banned
^That is the upside to a Glock. I have over 10K rounds through them (probably more, but that is a conservative #), and have never EVER had one stoppage or failure to feed/fire unless I had a bad magazine. Even dirty and gunked up, Glock gets the job done. Just my $0.02...

Old 05-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
b9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond repute
^The one place where a revolver has a Glock beat is there will be no issue with a bad magazine. That said, any magazine that I carry with me has been tested dozens of times in the gun I carry it for.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Banned
I agree about the magazine issues. Any mag can go bad though. If you're interested in a revolver, there are several titanium hammerless options out there. Either way, I think your best bet is to head to your local range, rent a few pieces that interest you, shoot them, maybe get a lesson, and go from there.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
There is my Ruger 4" GP100 next to my Ed Brown EC Commander sized 1911. The GP is a very large frame for a 357.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
This with night sights = game over.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
mechamegalodon is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea I agree with the glock, however i honestly think anything over a 9mm is only for the self confidence of the shooter. A 9mm has fine stopping power, its cheap, and very easy to fire.

DO NOT GET A REVOLVER for your first time, they hurt like hell to shoot, and are very heavy ect...

It all really depends on what feels best in your hand, if you want to get a full sized pistol or a compact, and how they shoot for you. Just go to a gun store and im sure the guy there will be knowledgeable enough to help you. You want to be confident in your own gun, not confident that other people like it.

on that note however the glock 26 is great to shoot, compact, and lightweight, just be sure to get the magazine extender to fit your hand.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
someone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick Reply: Personal Protection Recommendation?