Notices
The Team Speed Shooting Range The Guns, Ammunition, and General Personal Protection Discussion Forum.

Big Game Hunting In South Africa

Old 04-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Big Game Hunting In South Africa

This weekend I was watching a BBC documentary about hunting semi wild animals on special ranches in South Africa. And while I have never considered hunting before - though I do not dislike the practice of hunting, just never thought about it - I must say I was quite intrigued. Basically they raise all kinds of animal ranging from lions to monkeys, wardhogs even elephants and rhinos and as long as you can afford it, you can hunt any animal you want to. Most customers are Americans and while it may seem paradoxal this business has helped tremendously in preserving wildlife, even saved some species from extinction. On many farms you are only allowed to hunt with a crossbow to keep stress levels for the animals at a minimum. I would probably prefer using a rifle though because somehow using a crossbow seems more painful to the animal. And I don't think it's a particular challenge to shoot an animal while hiding in some stupid tent from 50 feet away wich seems to be the standard procedure. But yeah I think I'd sign up for shooting some kudu over a long distance with a .308.

So anyone been there, done that and got photos or stories to share?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
nerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the rough
Big game hunting in Africa is one of my life dreams.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
I never realized those things were so massive. I remember first seeing them on BBC Planet Earth special (must see for anyone).

In reality, you haven't lived until you have been face to face with a polar bear using spears on the cold arctic tundra.
Daily occurrence walking to school in Canada.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nerual
Big game hunting in Africa is one of my life dreams.
HAHA I knew you would be over this in no time! Would you hunt any animal? I don't think I could shoot an elephant, giraffe or any big cat.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Team Speed's Super Vixen
SuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not a hunter, but I was in Kruger Park, South Africa a few years ago. There is definitely a lot of game there and beautiful sunrises. It's fascinating to see them in their natural environment. I got to see all the Big Five and then some. I believe where I stayed, Lukimbi Lodge, you're not allowed to hunt, just observe from your seat in a LandRover. I guess if it helps the economy and doesn't endanger the species, good for them.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
nerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 4Wheels
HAHA I knew you would be over this in no time! Would you hunt any animal? I don't think I could shoot an elephant, giraffe or any big cat.
What does that mean, eh? Maybe I prefer to hunt the most dangerous game...I'll give you a 10 minute head start!

If it was on a preserve and was bred for me to shoot, I would not have a problem shooting it. For local hunting I believe in eating the meat of whatever I'd shoot, but I suppose that's not practical if you go all the way to Africa to hunt. I'm willing to bet someone eats the meat off those trophy animals after the hunters go home with the head/hide, though.

I suppose I'd shoot whatever I could afford to!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
What does that mean, eh? Maybe I prefer to hunt the most dangerous game...I'll give you a 10 minute head start!

If it was on a preserve and was bred for me to shoot, I would not have a problem shooting it. For local hunting I believe in eating the meat of whatever I'd shoot, but I suppose that's not practical if you go all the way to Africa to hunt. I'm willing to bet someone eats the meat off those trophy animals after the hunters go home with the head/hide, though.

I suppose I'd shoot whatever I could afford to!
Pah luckily for me I'm less dangerous than a medium sized fluffy overweight rabbit so I guess I'm save then.

Yeah the meat is distributed to the poor oh and even if you 'only' wound the animal you still have to pay. At some point one guy from Ohio shot a kudu at nightfall but the South Africans couldn't find the animal although there was some blood in the grass. The owner of the ranch was really upset at the thought of a wounded animal running around in the night, all the owners were very passionate about the animals and their wellbeing. They did eventually find the (by that time dead) kudu in the bushes though. A lion was $20k a pop and rhinos were the most expensive AFAIK, anywhere between 50k and 100k depending on the size of the horn.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Pah luckily for me I'm less dangerous than a medium sized fluffy overweight rabbit so I guess I'm save then.
Haven't you seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
Most customers are Americans and while it may seem paradoxal this business has helped tremendously in preserving wildlife, even saved some species from extinction.
this same philosophy applies in our food chain - they are tons of forgotten breeds of poultry, pork, and beef that have died out, or are alive in very small quantities, because mass industry replaced them w/ one breed.

there's a "heritage" movement afoot to save the forgotten breeds (and they often taste better) by breeding these animals for consumers to eat.

as for lion hunting - make sure you hit it:
http://www.youtube.com/v/h1FivamFXms&hl=en

- chuck

Old 04-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Haven't you seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail?
Only the 'always look in the bright side of life' part

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Game Hunting In South Africa