Notices
Supercars Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Zonda, Venom GT, & More Discussion Forum.

Interview with Horacio Pagani. By Pepe Giménez - Diariomotor

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Tango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond repute
Post Interview with Horacio Pagani. By Pepe Giménez - Diariomotor

Name:  Horacio Pagani.jpg
Views: 3313
Size:  274.1 KB

Interview with Horacio Pagani. By Pepe Giménez - Diariomotor
The Spanish journalist Pepe Gimenéz (Diariomotor - Spain) conducted an interview with Horacio Pagani while visiting Marbella, Spain.
Horacio Pagani recounts his vision of sports cars. He talks about his beginnings, hybrid fever, LaFerrari, the P1 and the 918 Spyder... An artist who wants the Pagani Huayra to be the hypercar of the moment, and your Brand, be the benchmark of exclusivity.

Horacio Pagani is an hour late for our appointment. Comes from a walk in the vicinity of Puerto Banus with his wife. It has come to spend the weekend in Marbella with her and her two children, to mark the Luxury Weekend, a party to enhance firms marbellíes luxury. He has invited Mario Guarnieri, the Pagani importer in Spain, a close friend of the Pagani family.

It is the second founder of a brand I know. Something unusual for the times and people of my generation. The founders of the major brands lie underground... Instead, this Argentine still has 66. He migrated to newly finished their studies and, thanks to a recommendation from the Argentinean driver Juan Manuel Fangio, he started working for Lamborghini to Pagani founded in 1980, initially as a European partner of the firm technological Sant'Agata Bolognese.

The C8 project began in 1980, but it was not until 1999 when it introduced the Zonda subsequently broke the record at the Nürburgring. The Zonda was replaced by the Huayra in 2011, a V12 of origin AMG with 700 hp. A truly unique piece of art with a price of around two million euros. More to collect and stroll, to wear daily or pass circuit.

Horacio seems a close, familiar. Not the classic billionaire who decides to undertake the project of making the last car of the moment. Engineering and Bachelor of Fine Arts, her profile fits more with this second doctrine is an artist. Shortly after we met, I talk about the importance of art and details. How materials and craftsmanship are the axis on which turns the essence of each product. He shows me some shoes manufactured in carbon fiber designed personally, and valued at more than 50,000 euros. "To the ladies of my clients do not feel jealous when her husband two million euros is spent on a Huayra..."

Pepe Giménez: Pagani sell artworks. A product for anyone looking for a sports car with maximum exclusivity and performance. And suddenly, the big names were concerned about exclusivity... And appeared LaFerrari, the McLaren P1 and Porsche 918 Spyder... It's complicated things for Pagani?

Horacio Pagani: It is quite normal. 10 ten years Ferrari and Porsche launch these special editions. The GTO, F40, F50 and Enzo... Ferrari has its nest and clientele. They are more cars racing, inspired by the story of your brand and Formula One... On the other hand, we also saw Porsche 959, the GT1, the Carrera GT and now the 918 Spyder. They are less exclusive cars for the volume and the value they have. But for such a prestigious brand like her, who has thousands of customers worldwide, are vehicles that have much logic. With solutions as they study the carbon chassis or hybrid technology. It seems logical that both brands, with its prestige, then this type of car. McLaren is trying to compete with Ferrari and Lamborghini... and does good for the world launch of the car in P1. In response to your question at all is a problem for Pagani.

The customer buying the P1, also buy a Pagani. A Pagani costs 50% more, the Huayra part from 1,200,000 without tax, or optional equipment. So it's easy to exceed € 2,000,000. We had no inflection in sales and production we secured the next three years. This year we will manufacture 38 or 40 cars... This is because they are very custom cars. If the customer asks many details, we strive to make you happy and we can take a month to finish a car.

Pepe Giménez: What do you think of the current craze for hybrid supercars? A few years ago you commented us that, so far, had no place in Pagani. Do you still think the same?

Horacio Pagani: I think a sports car should be a derivative of another race, but with comfort. I love Porsche: I love the brand and I have a Carrera GT... I use it a lot and weighs 1400 kilos. It's fun, simple and accurate. Think of the 918 Spyder, which weighs over 1,800 kilos, goes against my philosophy. Also, are not cars for everyday use. A car should be simple. I wonder what will happen with all this electronics within 15 or 20 years when they have to repair these cars. What happens to those batteries? Look, we have made ​​comparative tests of Modena motorway to Milan. Our car uses less fuel than a hybrid, because in those miles, hybrids have to go "dragging" 400 kilos of additional weight.

However, I think that technology should move forward. The first mobile phones were very large and, through evolution, are now quite small. If we had not raised 20 years ago, we would not have come to the mobile phones of today. So I think what has made logical Porsche, McLaren or Ferrari... although I still do not find it in my car application. But that is my decision. However, I do not doubt what others have done.

Pepe Giménez: So... Pagani could stay behind?

Horacio Pagani: No. For two reasons: 6.7% of Pagani Group is owned by the co-founder of Logitech. This person has Factory KERS for Formula One there have a factory of electric motors and machines to manufacture them. That is, the technology I have at home. On the other hand, is the relationship with Mercedes, which is a very strong relationship. President Mercedes told us at the last meeting we had, when we celebrate twenty years of work, that any electrical technology was available to Pagani. They have done many projects in the field of electric vehicles, such as the SLS AMG electric-. So know that we have this technology available to us leaves us pretty quiet.

In addition, twenty years ago, we developed the Next Renault, who was one of the first hybrid projects in history. It was a compact car like the Megane today. Weighed 800 kilos and was done in carbon fiber. He had two electric motors and a rear diesel engine which, at that time, 50% less polluting than a traditional motor. I mean, 20 years ago we had the technology to develop this. No bad technology, a technology that is applied at the right time. We are very open people...

Name:  horaciopagani01.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  280.7 KB

Pepe Giménez: With the rise who are having customized programs and one-off editions in other manufacturers, what editions exclusive Pagani Huayra know of?

Horacio Pagani: We do this from day one. Each vehicle is custom-made. It is as a dress. For example, who is with us is made ​​specifically for the movie Transformers and the guidance of its director.

Pepe Giménez: When we visited the factory a few years ago production was limited to only 20 units a year. How will the new factory? Part of the new buildings are already in place...

Horacio Pagani: It will be completed in the second half of 2014 production will be a maximum of 50 units per year.. But most important is not to increase production, but the new R&D (I+D) space we gain enlargement.

Pepe Giménez: Pagani confirmed earlier this year that the Huayra Roadster not arrive as scheduled in 2014... and in 2016 he would. Why should those two years late?

Horacio Pagani: It's late. Simply change the U.S. legislation in 2016 regarding engines. As present the roadster and having to homologate an engine... and two years later, having to homologate it again, would be stupid. As we have so many requests for this vehicle, we have preferred to finish this series and start another.

Name:  horaciopagani03.jpg
Views: 4092
Size:  178.5 KB

Pepe Giménez: Tell us personal things... How did you meet Juan Manuel Fangio?, was more than a friend?

Horacio Pagani: It was a terrific friend. I was 21, I made a race car running in the Renault team Argentina. I did it with sacrifice and with limited financial means. With this car, I got corriese F2 for Argentina, the best team he had. Fangio was a director of Renault, saw this car and caught his attention. When I showed up, and saw that he was so young, our relationship began. When I decided to come to Europe to my car, he had a letter of recommendation for Enzo Ferrari, Lamborghini, De Tomasso... and that's how I got a Lamborghini, where I started as a laborer third level.

It created between us a very nice relationship. I wanted to make a car dedicated to him, as a reward for what he was to me as a person, friend, mentor and example. And so was born as the Zonda. It was an extraordinary person and what inspired him Zonda. There is a book called "When a man is more than the myth" that summarizes what he was. He was a very rich intellectually, humanly... A person of great simplicity. Our relationship was very deep.

Pepe Giménez: You love art and engineering. What are your greatest in Pagani to position the brand above the competition?

Horacio Pagani: 40 years ago I started working, always designing many things with this idea. It was ever thus. For me, it was not new. The car had to be aesthetically as original as possible and also work. The inspiration of our brand is the concept of Leonardo. When I was young I was fortunate to read a quote from Leonardo saying that "art and science could walk together." This was said 500 years ago. I loved the scientific field but very artist: I loved design, culture, music, poetry. And I still remember when I read that sentence to 14 years. I opened the world I wanted to go. Ultimately, Leonardo at the time had a much more "live" environment (from an artistic point of view) than today. On the other hand, were not the technology or the knowledge of materials, and all there today.

Today, luckily we have a range of materials which we know the mechanical characteristics and can do calculations. We also have at our disposal all the latest computer systems for a piece. We know how many kilos can hold a material with the computer and see how it will distribute all tensións (rigidity). Leonardo was a inconclusita person, people say. Actually it was not. It was 400 years before anticipating what happened next.

If we pursue the concept of Leonardo's our fault because we have all the opportunity to do so. It is true that mindset to carry it requires education and training, which are different from traditional training. If you want to study a subject like engineering, you lock in numbers and do not study anything humanistic... Both can work together. I showed in me, in my profession. I studied engineering, fine arts and philosophy.

Pepe Giménez: That artistic streak came before?

Horacio Pagani: That child and feared. I studied science and, of course, requires more effort. My team is made up of guys who have made design, arts subjects, and when they come to my young and fresh company, with just over 20 years, beginning to give technical training. We seek open mind people, because it is easier to get an engineer and transform it into an artist, than the reverse. And mind you, I have only one engineer in my company, which deals with the organization of the technical office. No of projects..., but the organization. The rest are guys who grew up in my company with the aim of bringing together art and science.

You can not imagine how difficult is to design a tank of gas, with the number of complications that have safety and regulatory approval. An important point to have in Pagani is the Mercedes AMG engine is manufactured for us. There are 70 people in AMG only working on my project. But the design, the whole aesthetic of the engine is discussed in my company because AMG is well aware that the engine is not "stand up", but must be properly integrated.

We take advice which gives AMG, but the rest we do... and we see that our brand has grown much more than ever imagined. I do not mean swagger... I see all over the planet. It seems incredible. There are countries where we have dealers and people who have a lot of money want to have a Pagani. It is a rare event, because our brand barely 15 years old...

Name:  horaciopagani02.jpg
Views: 4038
Size:  238.7 KB

Pepe Giménez: What has been the greatest satisfaction in Pagani?

Horacio Pagani: My strategy of life, since I was a kid, was to be happy the minute I'm living on. Therefore, each moment is important to me. Ask a street car and get the absolute record of Nürburgring; was impressive... All have their headquarters there... But we're two days and do what we have to do. View our car arrives and the record is extremely gratifying. The other has been to see how we got here without financial means, or foreign aid. Without realizing it, or work thinking about money, we have offered 300 million euros just for the brand. And the most important is the satisfaction of customer equity. Some clients have even bought seven Pagani and feels very close to the family. They are very rich but with a super low profile. If you appoint the... They have changed world history in the last thirty years.

Pepe Giménez: If you close your eyes and dream, how you wish it were Pagani in 100 years?

Horacio Pagani: To continue as now. We must maintain the level of friendship and love with the customer... the level of creativity in the factory on a team less than a hundred people, the relationship created with Bosch or Mercedes... I hope simply to maintain the same level we have now. I hope that my children, my colleagues accompany you fortunate enough to be as we are now. I ask no more than that. Personally I think life has given me more than I deserve... I hope to continue like this and not make mistakes.

Original text is in Spanish, translated to English with the help of google translator.

Source of Information: Charlamos con Horacio Pagani - Genio y figura. Por Pepe Giménez

Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
St_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished road
Excellent as always Tango!

Old 06-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Tango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond reputeTango has a reputation beyond repute
^Thank you!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Teamspeed Member
ZondaUFO You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaUFO You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaUFO You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaUFO You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaUFO You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaUFO You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaUFO You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaUFO You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaUFO You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaUFO You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ZondaUFO You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Thank you for sharing this!!

Old 06-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^You're welcome.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Pininfarina is an unknown quantity at this point
As an avid fan of Mr. Pagani, I have visited his factory, read his book, and watched many of his interviews. But what I love about this interview in particular is that it is much more personal and engaging than most other ones, and it answers a lot of great questions. It's very insightful and interesting. I would do anything to meet with Horacio over lunch one day and just listen to him talk about anything. 'Very interesting man, indeed. Anyway, thanks for sharing! It was a great read.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
The journalist incur some errors in the introduction (es.wikipedia.org and other websites in Spanish, have inaccurate information), I did not notice at the time, to correct. And to be honest my translation is not the best.

- Horacio Pagani born 10 November 1955 (58 years)
- Pagani began working for Lamborghini in 1983 until founding "Pagani Composite Research" in 1988, and continued as a technology partner of the firm of Sant'Agata Bolognese.
- Although the dream of building his own supercar was born much earlier, the C8 project began in the late 80s.

However the interview was very interesting. I agree, when Horacio is in a family atmosphere, very good interviews are achieved. In this case the journalist is Spanish and that allowed Horacio to elaborate on your answers quite naturally.

@Pininfarina_ Anyway, thanks for sharing! It was a great read.

You're welcome, and welcome to TS.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
TwelveGage is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome interview thanks for sharing!