Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Schumacher calls off F1 comeback!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Schumacher calls off F1 comeback!!

And I thought the weekend would be a comeback for both Dana & Schumi

bbc
"Seven-time Formula 1 champion Michael Schumacher has abandoned his comeback with Ferrari because of a neck injury.
The 40-year-old, who retired at the end of 2006, was set to deputise for the injured Felipe Massa at the European Grand Prix in Valencia on 23 August.
"Unfortunately we did not manage to get a grip on the pain in the neck which occurred after the private F1-day in Mugello," Schumacher told his website.
Schumacher suffered the neck injury in a bike accident in February.
"The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike accident in February, fractures in the area of head and neck, unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe," he added.
"That is why my neck cannot stand the extreme stresses caused by F1 yet. These are the clear results of the examinations we did on the course of the past two weeks and the final examination on Monday afternoon.
As there were no improvements after the day in Mugello, I decided at short notice on Sunday to do that thorough examination on Monday."
Schumacher won five championships with Ferrari and had been working as a consultant for the Italian team before his decision to come out of retirement to stand in for Massa.
The German, who claimed his other two drivers' crowns with Benetton, has entered 250 grands prix, winning a record 91 of them.
His return was being eagerly anticipated but, despite trying everything 'medically or therapeutically' possible, he has had to admit defeat.
"I am disappointed to the core," said the German. "I am awfully sorry for the guys of Ferrari and for all the fans which crossed fingers for me.
"I can only repeat that I tried everything that was within my power. All I can do now is to keep my fingers crossed for the whole team for the coming races."
Brazilian Massa is recovering from the serious head injuries suffered during qualifying for the Hungarian GP.
And, while the rest of the F1 drivers were enjoying their mid-season break, Schumacher had embarked on a rigorous training regime, resulting in him losing more than six pounds in weight before calling off his return.
"It's hugely disappointing," said David Croft, Radio 5 live's F1 commentator. "The F1 world was very much looking forward to seeing Michael Schumacher locking horns with Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Benson, Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso.
"But it's hardly surprising. The G-forces that your neck muscles particularly are exposed to in a modern-day F1 car can take their toll and give you severe punishment during the course of a race.
"If you are not 100% fit, there's no way you can think about driving one of these cars."
He added: "It leaves Ferrari in an absolute pickle. They have Marc Gene and Luca Badoer as their official reserve drivers.
"Gene has the more seniority, but he has not raced since he drove for Williams in 2004. Badoer hasn't raced since 1999. They haven't done much testing either so I'm not sure whether they'll be able to withstand racing in Valencia.
"Sebastien Bourdais is on the market after being released by Toro Rosso and Nelson Piquet is on the market after being released by Renault. That may be an option for Ferrari but it's not an option they would want, I'm sure. There are not much options." "

Last edited by GrayTT; 08-11-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:35 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
At least the hype drummed up a lot of interest and ticket sales for Valencia. Who takes the seat until Massa's return, Alonso?

https://teamspeed.com/forums/pit-sto...-comeback.html

Old 08-11-2009, 06:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond repute
Ferrari turn to Badeor
Test driver to step in after Schumi pulls out

Ferrari have turned to test driver Luca Badoer to fill the void left by Michael Schumacher and Felipe Massa.

Ferrari have been rocked by news that seven-time world champion Schumacher will now not be able to race for them because of a long-standing neck injury.

The legendary German driver had been set to replace Massa, who has been sidelined after suffering serious head injuries at the Hungarian GP.

However he announced on Tuesday that he would now not be able to return to action after failing to overcome his own injury.

Ferrari have now asked the 38-year-old Badoer to fill in for the rest of the season.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo said: "In agreement with Stefano Domenicali, we have therefore decided to give Luca Badoer the chance to race for the Scuderia after he has put in so many years of hard work as a test driver."

Badoer made 51 starts for Ferrari between 1993-98 having previous raced in the Italian F3 Championship and won the Formula 3000 intercontinental title.

Source: SkySports

Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Well that's a bummer.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
That's a huge bummer, but fair to Badoer - he's been sitting patiently for a while for this chance...

Old 08-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute

Old 08-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
Damnation

Old 08-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Guess it's the extra weight of the dentures ...

Old 08-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
Guess it's the extra weight of the dentures ...
Ouch.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
If he left his ego at the door and was honest about the true magnitude of his injuries from the bike crash, there wouldn't be so much disappointment now. Would've loved to have seen the comeback...

Quick Reply: Schumacher calls off F1 comeback!!