Notices
Southwest (US) Regional discussion forum for our members in AZ, NM, and NV

Welcome to Texas - Road Course / Auto-X Track starter kit

Old 05-25-2015, 01:33 PM
Teamspeed Member
Eric_H is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to Texas - Road Course / Auto-X Track starter kit

This is from an email I put together for a friend coming to Texas, I thought it would help fellow car enthusiasts with an itch to get their car on the track where it belongs!

I have posted some videos from some of my visits to the tracks - YouTube Texas Tracks

Some of the clubs in Texas to drive with, on their websites you will often find the information about the local tracks. They just do HPDEs at this time (fun track days, no time trials) --

The Drivers Edge

Another is Apex Driving Academy

NASA: Welcome to NASA Texas - 2015 Website Under Construction (HPDE/TimeTrial/Races)

For two auto-x clubs check out: Equipe Rapide SCC - Autocross club - Texas - News

There is also a lot of PCA and BMWCA and of course SCCA stuff in our area...

https://www.bmwcca.org/chapter/lone-star-chapter
PCA: Maverick Region
The Sports Car Club of America - About

Here are the tracks, many have their own "drivers days" also, check out their websites or call them for opportunities to drive their tracks:

Motorsport Ranch
Eagles Canyon Raceway
Closing in 2015 so visit soon: Texas World Speedway you can see the associated Teamspeed thread here - https://teamspeed.com/forums/pit-sto...edway-tws.html
Harris Hill Raceway - Motorsports Clubs, Driving School, HPDE, and Corporate Events
MSR Houston
Circuit of The Americas
Soon to be built (hopefully!!) Bluebonnet: Club Track Holdings, Llc - Race Track Rental, Driving instuction
Just outside of Texas:
Hallett Motor Racing Circuit
NOLA Motorsports Park | New Orleans, LA Race Track, Karting & Events Center

That will get you started, hope that helps!! Welcome to Texas!

Last edited by Eric_H; 05-25-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Teamspeed Member
One of the groups you can drive with has cool charity - allowing anyone to ride with the advanced drivers for a small donation (~$25 for as much as you can stomach lol) - that includes with cars like this! Just show up anytime they have an event during weekend to watch for free or ride for a small donation. Of course you can always sign up to drive your own car with or without driver's instruction/coaching.
See video's description for more info!

Old 11-25-2019, 02:54 PM
Teamspeed Member
Update: Eagle's Canyon (ECR) - Decatur, Texas
They finally totally re-poured the entire track and the full track (now 2.7mi vs the original 2.5mi) opened this month. I was there 11/24/19 for four 15min HPDE sessions - a lot to learn with this new config. Do not assume the section that is still like the old config is 100% unchanged!

Wow, I love the track. Way better then when I drove it last in 2012 when it was already falling apart. Back then they tried to fix it but concrete was coming up so bad in chunks that it would have totaled my car. Now the track is glass smooth and beautiful again and I like the new config much better than the original one. Everyone needs to get out there and get some rubber down on the track to increase its grip! This track deserves a re-visit if you have not been there after the Nov 2019 reopening. Keep safe out there!

Old 10-18-2020, 11:12 AM
Teamspeed Member
Update: Harris Hill Road (H2R) - San Marcos, Texas
This track also has been TOTALLY resurfaced! I have yet to revisit but I thought it was a fun track but the back straight was horribly bumpy. Not anymore! I look forward to going back.

I did not mention previously but for historical reasons wanted to note that I am sad to say that TWS has closed permanently and rumored Bluebonnet will not be built.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:00 PM
Teamspeed Member
Update: Motorsport Ranch, Cresson, TX (MSR-C) - the 1.7 section gets resurfaced this month (March'21).

A database that has an inventory of lap times that I have used to try to find what I should target. https://www.tracklaps.net
My times (thus far in Lotus Exige @ Texas area tracks) here: https://www.tracklaps.net/driverlaps.php?GID=260

My car vids --> YouTube