Notices
Smoke & Vine Discussion Forum For The Finest Cigars, Wines, and Spirits From Around The Globe.

George T. Stagg Bourbon Whiskey

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:06 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post George T. Stagg Bourbon Whiskey

George T. Stagg Bourbon Whiskey
A limited edition spirit to warm the soul
this winter

George T. Stagg is a limited-production bourbon whiskey distributed by Buffalo Trace Distillery, as part of the distillery's "Antique Collection" series. It is a high proof uncut and unfiltered bourbon, aged for approximately 15 years. It has been distributed only once a year in the fall, but in 2005 a second spring release was added. It is rare to find outside the U.S., but some is distributed in other major cities.

The whiskey has been highly awarded in many spirit ratings competitions and has won best rankings over years in Jim Murrays "Whisky Bible". The San Francisco World Spirits Competition, for example, awarded two gold and two double gold medals to the bourbon between 2005 and 2009.

The Buffalo Trace Distillery is a distillery located in Frankfort, Kentucky. It has historically been known by several names, including most notably, the George T. Stagg Distillery and the O.F.C. Distillery.

Spirits Review Notes:
Appearance: Wonderful copper red in the bottle, similar to the color of Russian gold in the glass.

First Impression: Corn and rye, a seeming signature from this distillery, which end up smelling like leather, toffee, spices, and mint. You can smell the oaks influence on the whiskey in the peppery scent towards the end. Lots of dark fruit smells at the end as well.

It reminds me of the deeper cognac cellars in France. Nice edge line on the glass when you swirl it and some legs to it. Mint/vanilla comes out more after a while, along with a slight molasses scent. Reminds me of Dutch Kaneel in its spiciness.

Taste: Wonderful heavy mouth feel, it is a sweet fire at full strength. However the fact that you can drink it at that proof and actually like it speaks volumes as to how good it is. There is a definite sweetness to the corn with a wonderful rye sourness to it, the sort of paradoxical effect you get with strawberries and balsamic vinegar (although it taste nothing like that) a sweet smell but then very dry - but not at all astringent like some whiskies. It has the ethereal quality of a fine cognac at the end where it vaporizes at the back of the throat with a pleasing lingering tease. Very long, lingering, finish.
Source of text: Spirits Review & Wikipedia

George T. Stagg Bourbon Whiskey is featured in the 2011 Teamspeed Holiday Guide

Old 11-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Official Teamspeed Duck's Fan
BuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond repute
DJ, first you show me those great cigars are you sending me and now this whisky, damn you are good to me bro!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:13 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
What can I say tis the season right?

Old 11-22-2011, 03:19 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
I need a bottle each of the 2 featured whiskeys.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds good, will see if i can get some here...

Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
esthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond reputeesthetique has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think I've seen that up here, but I'm curious about trying a bottle.

I normally swear by Woodford Reserve but it would be good to change things up.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Teamspeed Member
theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!theritz226 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I know this is out of left field, but I've been to Buffalo Trace, it's a beautiful place.