Notices
Smoke & Vine Discussion Forum For The Finest Cigars, Wines, and Spirits From Around The Globe.

Think theres a market for a flash sale site for Whiskey/Scoth and cigars?

Old 01-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
mccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to all
Think theres a market for a flash sale site for Whiskey/Scoth and cigars?

I've been contemplating the idea of a flash sale site for scotch whiskey and potentially cigars. I know there are a ton for Wine, and normal retail good. As well i have a way figured out to legally get around regulations for shipping spirits. Im just not able to find quantitative data to prove theres a solid fan base (like wine has) to support such a site.

What do you guys think?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
m3rydr is on a distinguished roadm3rydr is on a distinguished roadm3rydr is on a distinguished roadm3rydr is on a distinguished roadm3rydr is on a distinguished roadm3rydr is on a distinguished road
Good thread, I'm interesting in finding out more about this as well. This would also be a good thread to brainstorm some other verticals that might have potential in terms of a flash sales site.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
mccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to allmccoy55 is a name known to all
Im just interested as Wine and other "luxury" goods have caught fire in this space (lot18.com invino.com...). Im not a big wine guy, but i love scotch and cigars, but i've never ran into a large community of like wise fans.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Nick6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cigar wise you might be up against the buy/sell/trade sites, which tend to be quite popular.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Love the idea!!! But this^^^^

Old 01-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Wearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
You would be going up against some entrenched players like cigarbid.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Well the idea is not so much to go head to head with sites like cigarbid. But rather to initially cultivate a small community of influential and avid people in wiskey/scotch and cigars circles, mimicking gilts initial member base in fashion. Therefore allowing producers of these goods to privately liquidate their inventory to people who would already but their goods so it doesnt hurt their brand (ie. the public doesnt know about the deals). Or they could use it as a marketing ploy to allow this member base to explore new up and coming brands.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Robert@TheHotelHumidor is on a distinguished roadRobert@TheHotelHumidor is on a distinguished roadRobert@TheHotelHumidor is on a distinguished roadRobert@TheHotelHumidor is on a distinguished road
yes. And there are a couple out there already (cigars) and one that i kno of for wine. Cigar site is cigarsinternational.com and wine site is winestilsoldout.com or something like that. I think that the wine site is more legit than the cigar site. I know alot of major cigar manufacturers and they have told me that for these cigarsites and catalogues that they use inerior tobacco and cut corners todrop th prices. I am currently working with GiltGroupe on a cigar club that will sell ultra premiums at a good discount. I do think that your concept is saleable and a great idea if executed properly-and so long as you maintain the brand position. I know that alot of manufacturers will not touch these discount sites because they "whore" the brands