Notices
Smoke & Vine Discussion Forum For The Finest Cigars, Wines, and Spirits From Around The Globe.

I bought myself a brewery.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:01 AM
Teamspeed Pro
theprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond repute
I bought myself a brewery.

Hi,

I have taken the plunge after a few years of pining after a miniature brew house operation. It arrived a couple of weeks ago and I enjoyed brewing my first brew last Monday, yesterday the beer went to keg and my excitement is still climbing. This is basically a complete commercial application brewery, thrown in a microwave, to creat a 100L brewery.

I've pasted a post from the forum I share things with my mates, I thought there might be some interest here.

The post isn't hugely in depth because the brew knowledge amongst the forum is quite sound, if anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to make up and answer for you!

The night started with a lot of enthusiasm. First brew. Who couldn't be excited? After running a few shake down tests for power draw and gas fittings we pretty much got straight into it, first on the list was to fill the Hot Liquor Tank - a wanky way of saying a big pot of hot water.

We were pleasantly surprised when we were able to boil 70+ litres in less than 20 minutes, that is COOKING baby. So we were able to mash in quite a lot early than we thought. The malt that was milled is a bit of a secret combination, KFC special sauce if you will, but I can say there is 4 different strains in this brew. The beauty of such a small brewery is the ability to use the finest quality ingredients without compromising to a bean counter.

Stirring the grain in was made easier by the great design of the miniature brew house - here you can see the recirculation tray (so as to evenly push hot water without splash) and a hand.

This is a bit closer on the tray, well designed it moves up and down an internal pole to get to the required level. The mash in is ideal for this brew at about 66deg, we were a bit short of that, but that's what happens when you're new to a brew house!

Here is a sparging image, which is throwing hot water over the grain as you drain into the kettle, so we can obtain the desired amount of boilable wort.

This is the setup to hook into the kettle;

This is what the kettle looks like inside, you will note the angles pipes, that is so we can create a whirlpool effect - just like a big boy brewery!

The beer boils for 1 hour on this recipe, quite short, but the control you have over a small brew is exceptional.

During the boil, hops are added, we were using CITRA hops for this, so basically a very American Pale Ale is in the works here. I won't give away the hop additions online, but this will be a bitter beer.

After full boil we sent the beer to Fermenter One - this is a nice shot of the 'cookie' left behind;

Here is us pitching the yeast;

And here is the morning after!!!

The brew has sat since Monday, and we kegged her today. Looking at a 6% Pale Ale with strong bitterness, awesome.

I will keep you updated.
Basically I am HAPPY!

Cheers,
Nik

Old 06-22-2010, 03:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
CongratZ Nik... but the only thing that comes to mind is Buzz Beer from the Drew Carey Show

Old 06-22-2010, 04:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
theprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond reputetheprotest has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,

Cheers mate, not sure what Buzz Beer is, but this is going to be top quality beer. I will have it for sale on tap within the next two weeks.

Can't wait to sell my first pint!

Cheers,
Nik

Old 06-22-2010, 04:50 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
How cool is that. Let us know how it tastes when it's done.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Very cool, Nik! Big congrats for following your dream. Best of luck!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Very cool, Nik! Big congrats for following your dream. Best of luck!
+1! Best of luck!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations! That is so great. And looks like a great setup. Can't wait to hear more about the finished product!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats Nik! Well wishes as you pursue your dream!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 AM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
Damn!

Congrats Nik. It's crazy to see how much work is put into something that I gulp down in seconds!!!!!

That's awesome. Please keep us updated. Bottling plans? What's next? Can you name it after me please. Thanks!!!!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
So awesome. I worked in the Beer/beverage industry for a few years and was always intrigued to make my own but never did. Quite the workshop you have to keep your brewery in as well!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I bought myself a brewery.