Notices
Smoke & Vine Discussion Forum For The Finest Cigars, Wines, and Spirits From Around The Globe.

Finest Whisky

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
petrolhead68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Finest Whisky

Having spent a fair old bit of time in the Scottish Highlands, I have been able to sample a wide selection of single malts. Two of the best in my opinion are Highland Park which is certainly widely available here in the UK and also Cardhu which was a distillery that all but disappeared but is now up and running for sure. Cardhu comes in a really lovely retro styled bottle - delicious.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
I'm a big fan of Highland Park, was introduced by my grandfather who basically inhales the stuff. However, I've never heard of Cardhu. I need to see if its available here in the U.S.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
I have also never heard of Cardhu, going to have to start looking...

Old 05-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
guitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the rough
Most of my favorites are the Islay whiskies, particularly Laphroaig and Lagavulin. One whiff and I see tartan, hear the pipes and feel the cold salt spay of the sea in my face.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Lagavulin is one of my favs as well. Does anybody have any thoughts on Oban? Haven't tried it, but I've seen some good reviews.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
guitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the roughguitom is a jewel in the rough
Oban is lovely. It has, among the many whiskeys I've tasted, one of the best balances of peat, heather, honey, etc. Not a bad bottle to use when turning on a newbie to single malt.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Teamspeed Member
Doctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
Lagavulin is one of my favs as well. Does anybody have any thoughts on Oban? Haven't tried it, but I've seen some good reviews.
Wow that Lagavulin is smokey, I couldn't believe it! Certainly need to be in the mood for peat on that.

Oban is quite good, not inexpensive though. Lately I've been finding real value in the Balvenie line as well as Glenfarclas.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by Doctor Love
Wow that Lagavulin is smokey, I couldn't believe it! Certainly need to be in the mood for peat on that.

Oban is quite good, not inexpensive though. Lately I've been finding real value in the Balvenie line as well as Glenfarclas.
I've had a couple of the Glenfarclas products, fantastic. Balvenie is my whisky of choice when turning women onto scotch.

Although I love Lagavulin, when I smell it I can't help but be reminded of the smell in the air in lower Manhattan on 9/11/01......like the whole place had been burnt to the ground.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by guitom
I've had a couple of the Glenfarclas products, fantastic. Balvenie is my whisky of choice when turning women onto scotch.

Although I love Lagavulin, when I smell it I can't help but be reminded of the smell in the air in lower Manhattan on 9/11/01......like the whole place had been burnt to the ground.
You've completely ruined Lagavulin for me, thanks!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:52 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by JC919
You've completely ruined Lagavulin for me, thanks!
I still think it's delicious.

Quick Reply: Finest Whisky