Notices
Smoke & Vine Discussion Forum For The Finest Cigars, Wines, and Spirits From Around The Globe.

THE OFFICIAL TS Cigar Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
^ My humidor is stocked with Opus X, which would have been my initial recommendation. The Opus X Perfexion X is perhaps my favorite cigar right now, better than any of the cubans in my humidor. You might give it a try as it's a bit more mild than the other Opus X cigars.

Ashton makes a nice, generally mild cigar with Domincan fillers in a Connecticut wrapper. I have some aged Pyramids in my humidor and think they make a nice smoke.

Fuente Hemigways are always a good choice and a little toned down compared to the Opus Xs, which are much more oily and leathery.

Lastly, the Macanudo Gold Labels are also nice with the Shakespeare a nice size.

Have you tried any Gurkha cigars? I recently had one (I think it was the Titan) and was surprised at how good it was. I was expecting much less but it was a big, bold cigar that was constructed very well.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
UBC, who makes the Opus X?

Gurkha has been nice, I agree, in fact, I just bought 25 of the Cuban Legacy to try.

And yea, Ashton has always been nice, in a Maduro is my favorite.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by U-Boat Commander
^ My humidor is stocked with Opus X, which would have been my initial recommendation. The Opus X Perfexion X is perhaps my favorite cigar right now, better than any of the cubans in my humidor. You might give it a try as it's a bit more mild than the other Opus X cigars.

Ashton makes a nice, generally mild cigar with Domincan fillers in a Connecticut wrapper. I have some aged Pyramids in my humidor and think they make a nice smoke.

Fuente Hemigways are always a good choice and a little toned down compared to the Opus Xs, which are much more oily and leathery.

Lastly, the Macanudo Gold Labels are also nice with the Shakespeare a nice size.

Have you tried any Gurkha cigars? I recently had one (I think it was the Titan) and was surprised at how good it was. I was expecting much less but it was a big, bold cigar that was constructed very well.
Haven't tried Gurkhas. Will check our place tomorrow and see what they've got. Thanks for the great advice!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Curvejunkie
UBC, who makes the Opus X?
Opus X is the super premium brand from Arturo Fuente that was started around 10 yrs ago to specifically compete with Cubans. That's pretty much the only non-Cuban cigar that I buy today. They are all-Dominican and the tobacco is chosen from the best lots grown by Fuente. The construction of Opus X cigars is second to none. I've never had one that had a drawing problem or burned unevenly. I would say that the quality control far exceeds most Cubans. Plus, Opus X cigars just feel right in your hand. The wrapper is very leathery with just the right amount of oil. Honestly, I have a hard time justifying buying Cubans when I can buy Opus X, but it's nice to have a little variety as well.

I buy all of my Fuente and Opus X cigars from Cigars: Buy Discount Cigars Online and Save at CigarsDirect.com. The best thing to do is to buy a few cigars from them and register an account. They have specials all the time. So I just wait until they send me an email with a special offer and then buy. For example, I just got a box of Opus X Perfexion X for like 25% off of their usual price, which was already 10% cheaper than any other Opus X distributor.

Last edited by U-Boat Commander; 07-13-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Opus X is the super premium brand from Arturo Fuente that was started around 10 yrs ago to specifically compete with Cubans. That's pretty much the only non-Cuban cigar that I buy today. They are all-Dominican and the tobacco is chosen from the best lots grown by Fuente. The construction of Opus X cigars is second to none. I've never had one that had a drawing problem or burned unevenly. I would say that the quality control far exceeds most Cubans. Plus, Opus X cigars just feel right in your hand. The wrapper is very leathery with just the right amount of oil. Honestly, I have a hard time justifying buying Cubans when I can buy Opus X, but it's nice to have a little variety as well.

I buy all of my Fuente and Opus X cigars from Cigars: Buy Discount Cigars Online and Save at CigarsDirect.com. The best thing to do is to buy a few cigars from them and register an account. They have specials all the time. So I just wait until they send me an email with a special offer and then buy. For example, I just got a box of Opus X Perfexion X for like 25% off of their usual price, which was already 10% cheaper than any other Opus X distributor.
Wow. Those are some cigars! A bit rich for my blood, but thanks for the info!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^ The Opus X are no more expensive than buying Cubans from Canada (which is where most Cubans in the US come from). And when Cigars Direct discounts them, they are not much more expensive than buying Cubans in Mexico.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^ The Opus X are no more expensive than buying Cubans from Canada (which is where most Cubans in the US come from). And when Cigars Direct discounts them, they are not much more expensive than buying Cubans in Mexico.
I dont have much experience buying from Canada, so I cant relate really, just what I can normally get on line.

I do see a couple singles in my future... recommendations on the Opus?

Old 07-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Curvejunkie
I dont have much experience buying from Canada, so I cant relate really, just what I can normally get on line.

I do see a couple singles in my future... recommendations on the Opus?
You can buy online from Switzerland and other places and the cigars are very cheap. But I would be weary about doing that. There's no way to know that what you're ordering is the real thing and I've read that something like 50% of all Cubans purchased online are fakes. They lure you in with a cheap price and then sell you a Dominican cigar in a Cuban wrapper. I would only buy from an online merchant that I had previously visited in person at their actual bricks and mortar store or otherwise have a personal relationship with the proprietor. For sure, never buy online from a source that does not post their physical address.

If you want to try some Opus X, then try either the Opus X Perfexion X, the Opus X Fuente Fuente or the Opus X Reserva D' Chateau. Those are the best ones.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^ Thanks! So far, just bought online at CI, and from a friend of Hernandos online here.

I will definately being trying Opus shortly.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute

Decided to play the field. Fuente Hemingway, Davidoff Millenium Blend, Ashton ESG, and Ashton Cabinet with the Connecticut wrapper.

Quick Reply: THE OFFICIAL TS Cigar Thread