Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Vacuum Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond repute
964 Vacuum Leak

Team Speeders!

Has anyone had the vacuum lines replaced on their 964? I was wanting to hear some stories from others.

My line(s) are dry rotting and not sealing well causing poor running condition and the auto shop I have just found here in Lexington, KY quoted a silly low price under 300 to change the vacuum lines.

Now I am no spring chicken regardless of the fact I look much younger than I am... So when a Porsche shop tells me a repair, one that I NEED will be under a grand, I worry....

Any experiences?

Thank you all in advance.
Wilson

Old 12-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Teamspeed Member
Baron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Yonder
Team Speeders!

Has anyone had the vacuum lines replaced on their 964? I was wanting to hear some stories from others.

My line(s) are dry rotting and not sealing well causing poor running condition and the auto shop I have just found here in Lexington, KY quoted a silly low price under 300 to change the vacuum lines.

Now I am no spring chicken regardless of the fact I look much younger than I am... So when a Porsche shop tells me a repair, one that I NEED will be under a grand, I worry....

Any experiences?

Thank you all in advance.
Wilson
who's the shop and what lines do they claim to be bad? u can take the MAF off a 964 and itll run fine, we have never experienced an air leak on a 964 lead too poor run quality, i would get a second opinion

edit: and the average repair on a 964 is around 500, dont let overpriced hotdoggin shops bone u just bc its a porsche

Last edited by Baron; 12-11-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
fat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond repute
try this place,has a plethora of info for you. Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Old 12-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond repute
Baron,

I have taken it over to Stuttgart Motors. Dan, the owner diagnosed my car's inability to idle as rotting vacuum hoses running to the back of the engine. To be honest, I did not ask for a detailed explanation from him at the time. ( I have since asked him to write a quote)

I am very happy with Dan's service so I do not want this to seem like a rip on him or his company.

History on my car... It has an odd problem that has been going on for the past few (3) years sporadically and has been getting worse over time. Most often when I hit a bump I loose power. As in if I took my foot of the gas and depressed the clutch the car would stall. This occurs in city and highway driving. Normally I can depress the gas pedal then let off then reapply power and off I go with a rough running engine then it would smooth out in a moment. Other times the car seemingly goes dead, then I let off the gas, reaply the gas and off I go like nothing is the matter and running smoothly.

A dealership in cincy has seen the car 4 or so times to figure out what is up and no luck. This diagnostic work would be completed when having other services done. Not a specifically scheduled service visit.

When the power cuts off it is like a ground wire or something in the electrics/ignition was shorting or simply turning itself off, then on again a moment later once it resets.

It is an odd car.

Dan, at the shop is the first to go the vacuum leak route, so I think he might be onto something.

Wilson

My repairs in no particular order...
2x abs pump
clutch replacement
single mass flywheel
heads / cylinders machined to flat (oil leaks)
valve job with guides

Old 12-11-2009, 10:29 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
I had them replaced on my RS when I did the valve adjustment - it shouldn't be a big deal at all. I'll see if I can find the receipt somewhere but I don't think it was more than a few hundred.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Luis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox
my RS
Your car is an RS? I had no idea.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future928s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Luis
Your car is an RS? I had no idea.
Which version? Club , Touring........

Old 12-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Teamspeed Member
Baron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to all
Wilson, was it doing this before the valves/heads/cylinders?

Old 12-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Baron
Wilson, was it doing this before the valves/heads/cylinders?

Baron,

This began after the overhaul where I did the valve guides, valve job, machined the heads and cylinders (for a close flat fitment not to raise comp.) and clutch and flywheel.

I would think after droping 10k on the overhaul these vacuum lines would have been inspected... but maybe they also deteriorated fast in the last three.

This is an all weather car. It has seen mornings with 17 inches of snow on the ground and still got me to work on time. Maybe the environment is taking its toll.

Wilson