Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7 future Porsches revealed by Autocar

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:57 AM
TS Official Automotive Enthusiast
D55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond repute
7 future Porsches revealed by Autocar

Seven new Porsches revealed

Porsche's product plan for the next four years is outlined below:

Panamera V6 and diesel 2010

Porsche will launch V6 petrol and V6 diesel versions of the Panamera towards the end of next year. It’s unlikely that either model will get four-wheel drive since these versions are designed to be cheaper, entry-level models and, in the case of the diesel, pretty frugal.

With the next-generation Cayenne also not far from the showroom, there’s a good chance that these engines will be updated, if not significantly re-engineered, versions of the units seen in today’s Cayenne.

The Panamera petrol and diesel V6s will make the car far more affordable than the V8s, but this doesn’t mean they will be all that cheap. In the Cayenne, swapping from eight to six cylinders saves about £10,000. If the Panamera follows that pattern, it would mean a starting price of just over £60,000.

New Cayenne - 2010

Next year’s Cayenne will have a much more curvaceous and fluid exterior, to bring it further into line with the design language used on the 911. The bonnet is 911-shaped, tapering to a narrow opening between the redesigned headlights. Wrap-around lozenge-shaped tail lights also give the Cayenne a hint of 911 
at the rear. Under the skin, the biggest changes will be the reworked direct-injection V8 engines first seen in the Panamera.

Cayenne Hybrid - 2011

Porsche is in desperate need of a hybrid for the Cayenne range, and although this model was signed off last year, it is not expected to go on sale until 2011. The company says the car will use a “full parallel hybrid system”, and there will be the option of running the vehicle for a short distance in ‘zero emissions’ mode. Porsche is claiming economy improvements of up to 30 per cent, and impressive performance when both the engine and electric motor are propelling the Cayenne.

Panamera Hybrid - 2011

The Panamera hybrid will be one of the most important versions of the super-saloon, but it won’t be cheap. Porsche can use the same sophisticated transmission in the Panamera as it does in the Cayenne hybrid (which combines an automatic ’box and electric motors), but the installation will be quite different.

The Panamera hybrid is unlikely to have four-wheel drive. This is partly for reasons of economy, but also because it has a very different four-wheel drive system from the big SUV. The 4WD Panamera not only uses a Haldex clutch mounted on the rear of the transmission housing, but also directs power forward to a driveshaft system that runs through the engine’s sump.

Although a V8 hybrid might be more appealing to the US, a more efficient V6 hybrid would suit Europe better.

New 911 - 2012

The next Porsche 911, due in summer 2012, will be an all-new model. Porsche is not prepared to take any revolutionary steps with the styling, so while it might look similar to the current 911 don’t be fooled; nearly every panel on this 911 coupé and cabrio will be new. The car will be slightly longer (almost 4500mm across the range) and wider (around 1860mm on the base Carrera and 25mm extra on the Turbo). These alterations are down to a modified steel floorpan, which has a wheelbase extended by 50mm to 2400mm, and new suspension.

Rockster/ Small SUV - 2013

A few years ago, Porsche was seriously investigating building a small SUV to slot in below the Cayenne. One of the full-sized concept models was a three-door “off-road coupe” that had strong 911 styling cues.

Autocar had the design study confirmed by one of highest-ranking Porsche bosses, although he would not comment on the position of the engine, mainly because the styling had strong mid-engine overtones.

However, it has subsequently come to light that Porsche’s engineering arm was working on the body engineering of the new Audi Q5 SUV. It’s likely that this was the donor car, but co-operation is said to have been pulled by the then-Audi boss, Martin Winterkorn.

Latest reports say that now Porsche is part of VW, and VW is headed by Winterkorn, the Q5 could be used as the basis for a baby Cayenne.

Just as the new 356 could allow the Boxster to move upmarket, so the arrival of a Porsche Rockster small SUV could allow the Cayenne to do the same and make the big SUV more profitable.

928 cabrio and coupe - 2013

Having put a substantial amount 
of money into the almost entirely 
all-new Panamera model, Porsche will be keen to recoup some of its costs. The best way to do this would be a coupé and a cabrio to take on cars like the Bentley Continental GT and Maserati GranTurismo/GranCabrio. One senior company source has already told Autocar that a large three-door, in the spirit of the 928, would be a “very nice” addition to the line-up, although nothing has been signed off. In any case, it is understood that a cabrio version would be first to arrive, in 2013.

Seven new Porsches revealed - Autocar.co.uk

Last edited by D55L; 10-28-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
I was just about to start a thread exactly like this one, but after reading about Porsche's upcoming future models I fell asleep. Out of boredom.

Maybe its just me, but I'm a bit bummed by the fact that only 2 out of the 7 models mentioned in the article are what I would consider "performance" cars. Also, the 928 will probably be a luxury "GT" which leaves only the new 911 to carry the performance car torch. Add to that no mention of a "Super" supercar Porsche a.k.a CGT replacement.

Seems like their future line-up is heavily concentrated on SUV's, 4-door luxury cars, diesels, hybrids and cross platform sharing with there overlord masters Vee-Dub. Yippie. Given the future state of politics, eco-madness & mileage targets, I understand that Porsche being under VW's wing will probably be the only way they will survive in the future, but I'm a bit...uninspired.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
Didn't I read that Cayenne and Panamera were gonna be canned after VW got control? What's going on here?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Teamspeed Member
Kayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant futureKayman has a brilliant future
They need a Cayman RS

Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kayman
They need a Cayman RS
+1!

I think the 928 will be a great looking car but like Zeus, I was a bit disappointed by the outlook of future models. A Boxster Speedster, a Cayman RS, and a new halo car are what Porsche needs to be focusing on. Not sedans and SUVs.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Needs more CGT successor...

Old 10-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
hmmmmm, FAIL, I also thought they would cannthe Pany and Cayenne and not extend the SUV platform which competes against the Touareg, Tiguan and Q series. Believe it when i see it. Also heard comments from VW managers that Porsche would be focusing back on performancs sports cars. We'll see.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I think adding a front engine/ RWD Coupe / Cabriolet will be a great addition. I could care less about the dizzles in the line up. I think for Porsche they should rethink WHO they are and stick to gas burn'n nonhybrid vehicles.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:58 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
928 wohoo, gts or turbo put me down for it