Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

To Full Frame or to not Full Frame that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Official Teamspeed Duck's Fan
BuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond repute
To Full Frame or to not Full Frame that is the question

I am currently shooting a D200. It is time for an upgrade to something with a newer sensor that will be better for indoor sports (Basketball). I'm not a pro, don't shoot much more than snap shots anymore. I do like shooting cars, mainly on track. The extra reach of the crop sensor of the D200 with a 1.4x tele on the 70-200 2.8 at the track is great.

I own the 70-200 2.8, 17-55 2.8 and a 50 1.4. If I move to FF the 17-55 needs to go and I will need to fill that gap. The 70-200 and 50 will work well on any body.

So D700 + 24-70 vs D300s and extra cash to buy another lens or a point and shoot for biz travel.

I feel if I upgrade and don't move to the FF then I am staying with old technology. But will I get any real benefits from FF? I have to admit I have been drooling over the D3 for years and a used one isn't that much more than a new D700.

So all you FF converts please explain to me why I want to drop the extra coin on a FF body vs getting a D300s.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
This post makes you look fat.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:58 PM
BuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond repute
That was a good one! Should I buy Canon to make me look thinner? What do you shoot, I will get the opposite because I know you can't be that large in person!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BuzzedHornet
That was a good one! Should I buy Canon to make me look thinner? What do you shoot, I will get the opposite because I know you can't be that large in person!
Doh!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Mark, sell me your D3, when is the last time you even had it out of the closet?

Old 11-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BuzzedHornet
Mark, sell me your D3, when is the last time you even had it out of the closet?
Ok
4800 for the body.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
^ What don't you have meng?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by h20skier
Ok
4800 for the body.
At that price I want two! But can I get the one that takes pictures in focus, not the one you use to post pics on TS.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Yes. Do it. Once you pony up the money for the D700, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Because I said so.
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Do it.

Quick Reply: To Full Frame or to not Full Frame that is the question