Notices
Modern Muscle Corvette, Saleen, Ford GT, Mustang, & More Discussion Forum.

Challenger Sales Not as Hot as Expected?

Old 07-24-2008, 08:47 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Challenger Sales Not as Hot as Expected?

According to Automotive News, Dodge’s new Challenger SRT8 may not be doing as many smoky burnouts off of showroom floors as originally thought. Last spring, Chrysler officials indicated that 2008’s short-run of around 6400 cars was all but sold out, but AN is noting that plenty of cars are available, including more than 750 Challengers on AutoTrader.com right now.

This news may be the result of rising gas prices and/or heightening consumer fears, but it may also be interpreted as a sign that buyers are shying away from paying hefty dealer markups. With the Challenger being so hotly anticipated, many dealers have been seen listing the cars for thousands of dollars above the car’s $37,995 MSRP.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
The markups are killing them, and most real players want the manual.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Luis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond repute
Not surprised, that car does abolutely nothing for me.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Saw one in NYC on the road, caught my attention only for a few seconds.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JonA85
Saw one in NYC on the road, caught my attention only for a few seconds.

It's definitely an eye catcher, but looks like a brick on 4 wheels.

Probably handles like it too.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
i think this car is reaching out to a weird market. it's high-priced in a mid-level market. these people can afford the car, but not the cost of maintenance and insurance. if you're driving a $100k+ pcar, you probably don't care much about gas prices and such. i'd bet that a lot of challenger owners are also pcar or exotic owners just wanting a toy to beat on.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond repute
dealer markups are getting out of control these days

Old 07-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!SINISTR You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by Mr Kram
i think this car is reaching out to a weird market. it's high-priced in a mid-level market. these people can afford the car, but not the cost of maintenance and insurance. if you're driving a $100k+ pcar, you probably don't care much about gas prices and such. i'd bet that a lot of challenger owners are also pcar or exotic owners just wanting a toy to beat on.
What maintenance? It has a large warranty and the R/T an base cars will have a lifetime powertrain warranty. The car will list from 22K to 38K, that's not expensive. The only thing killing them is the only model out now is a auto SRT8 with a big markup. Wait until next year.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
i'm speaking only of the srt8 model. also 38k is not expensive to many of us, but for this market, i'd bet that it's on the high end of the spectrum. i doubt that these people are cross shopping for more expensive euro brands. in regards to maintenance, i used the wrong word. i'm talking about gas expediture in particular. it's kind of tough when your gas bill exceeds your monthly payment for the car. in any case, this is MY speculation.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TKDalumni has a reputation beyond reputeTKDalumni has a reputation beyond reputeTKDalumni has a reputation beyond reputeTKDalumni has a reputation beyond reputeTKDalumni has a reputation beyond reputeTKDalumni has a reputation beyond reputeTKDalumni has a reputation beyond reputeTKDalumni has a reputation beyond reputeTKDalumni has a reputation beyond reputeTKDalumni has a reputation beyond reputeTKDalumni has a reputation beyond repute
Not surprised...Dealer markups = weak!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Challenger Sales Not as Hot as Expected?