Notices
Mid-Atlantic (US) Regional discussion forum for our members in DC, DE, MD, NC, SC, and VA

License plates on a used car

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
License plates on a used car

OK, this may sound like a dumb question, but If someone was to buy a used car from a person, how do you get the car home without plates. I know in MD you can get temp tags to move the car, but I didnt see anything like that on the VA DMV, just stuff relating to dealers being able to issue temporary tags.

Do I just use the tags on the car to get it home, then re- register it in my name with new tags?

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:45 PM
TS Detailing Partner l Atlanta
whitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond repute
Biggest thing is to make sure it is insured.
Drive home on the previous plates if the guy your buying it from will let you and make sure you have a bill of sale and the title with you at all times until you register.
And register it asap to avoid penetration by VA popo.
It's crazy, here in GA you can write "Tag Applied For" on a piece of cardboard, spell applied wrong and not get pulled over and raped.
Blew my mind the first few times I saw it.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
J - I got my car from IL with no plates. What you need to do (as mentioned above) is to get it insured via the VIN, then go get it smogged/inspected. You'll need the docs for the title (ask me how I know). Then once you get plates and a title number, go to the VA DMV site and request registration. Also, go to Loudoun or FFX sites and get your PP tax set up.

Whatever you do, ensure that you get a temp tag that covers at least 30 days, better would be 45...

What are you buying??????

Old 06-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
I called the DMV this morning and they actually have a 3 day transport tag, which is exactly what I wanted to know about. It would be just to transport a car locally from buyers house, to my house before I got the tags in my name.

What are you buying??????
What fun would it be if I spilled the beans.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
chrcowan has a spectacular aura aboutchrcowan has a spectacular aura aboutchrcowan has a spectacular aura aboutchrcowan has a spectacular aura aboutchrcowan has a spectacular aura aboutchrcowan has a spectacular aura aboutchrcowan has a spectacular aura aboutchrcowan has a spectacular aura aboutchrcowan has a spectacular aura aboutchrcowan has a spectacular aura aboutchrcowan has a spectacular aura about
Maybe not the best/legal way, but I usually just use the seller's tags until I get my own. I just sold the Viper and the guy drove back with my old tags on it, which he mailed back to me. I did the same when I bought it. Just make sure to have the bill of sale and to eat your lucky charms.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Yeah, that is an option, you just have to make sure the person is trustworthy, and doesnt use your car as a getaway vehicle once they take it....

Old 06-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by All We'll Drive
What fun would it be if I spilled the beans.
You finally got that guy to sell you his F40???!?!?! Congrats!!!

I'm interested to see what you've got coming! Timeline?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
Semi-related, and since everyone's here: anybody going to C&C on Sat? Supposed to be beautiful day. I'm going up to Baltimore for the McHenry festivities, but not until a little later in the morning.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Pure Evo
You finally got that guy to sell you his F40???!?!?! Congrats!!!

I'm interested to see what you've got coming! Timeline?
After that accident he had last weekend, I got it cheap...hehe

Timeline is pretty much whenever I find something I like. The hardest part is sticking to my budget. I have been looking online and I'm like "What's an extra $2-3k" above my budget....

Old 06-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I should be there. We are going to Annapolis, but like you, not until later.

Quick Reply: License plates on a used car