Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

Prospective New Owner With Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
garyjavo is an unknown quantity at this point
Prospective New Owner With Questions

Hello,
I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 12C. I drove one for the first time today and I was blown away. I've spent quite a bit of time in all kinds of high horsepower cars, but I think the 12C does an amazing job at everything.

I'm looking at a well optioned 2012 with a $298k sticker and 14k miles on the clock. It seems that the only thing missing is the ceramic brake option. It has all of the carbon options, sport exhaust, upgraded audio, etc. It also has 15 months of factory warranty remaining. The only weird thing in the history is the transmission was replaced at 2k miles. No issues since.

1. Should I be concerned about the transmission?

2. Should I be concerned about the mileage?

3. I occasionally track my cars. Will the steel brakes still do well on the track?

4. Considering all of these variables, is $165k a decent deal on this car?

Thanks in advance for your input and I am really looking forward to joining the club.

Gary J

Old 03-07-2015, 02:17 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
I just got a 2014 coupe brandnew a few months ago. Can't really answer most of your questions other than the steel breaks do very well on track and I would not worry about replaced trans. You should join mclarenlife.com, you will get a lot more specific info about the 12c there. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Thanks for the reply. I've tried registering over there, but my browser keeps getting hung up after I type in the verification code. I've tried it using safari and Firefox. I'm not sure what the deal is.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Stephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond repute
is that you gary from Savannah? If so, now i know why you're selling your Viper

Old 03-17-2015, 12:29 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Ha. Small world. Wound up passing on the car. Looking at the 650s.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
Wow that is a 100k more, I am sure you are aware. Haven't driven one and there is tons of mixed reviews of whether it is worth the extra money for its performance or not. Also its front end gets polarizing reviews. I think it looks great in a very dark colors that kind of hide of the front design.

Around my area I have not really been able to use much of the cars performance. I reach go to jail speeds in moments

Let us know what you get.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Stephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond repute
I like how you mention occasionally tracking your cars, i feel like you're at the track at least once a month!