Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

P1: Central Locking

Old 02-22-2014, 06:55 AM
Teamspeed Member
Tuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to all
P1: Central Locking

Why does the P1 cause of saving weight has no central locking?

Old 02-22-2014, 07:13 AM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Are you talking about the wheel nuts?

A center lock wheel nut is fairly impractical. McLaren obviously didn't think any weight savings (if there was one) warranted the hassle. They are purposeful in racing for quick tire changes, but on a road car they are unnecessary, can cause a safety issue if not torqued properly and generally make it more complicated to have your tires serviced.

>8^)
ER

Old 02-26-2014, 03:07 PM
Teamspeed Member
Tuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to allTuscan is a name known to all
Yes, I do.

At least for better looking it should be worth.

I don't think that many people will change tires on their own on a P1.

Normal nuts have safety reasons as well if not fitted properly.

And still strange why Porsche then advertise with saving weight by using central locking.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:54 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, and they also advertise safety recalls with them:

Porsche Recalls Models With Wheels That May Loosen - Driver's Seat - WSJ

They aren't a great idea on a road car - they just aren't.

>8^)
ER

Old 03-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tuscan
Yes, I do.

At least for better looking it should be worth.

I don't think that many people will change tires on their own on a P1.

Normal nuts have safety reasons as well if not fitted properly.

And still strange why Porsche then advertise with saving weight by using central locking.
First time browsing this place in a while and I see this.

In short, McLaren probably entertained the idea of a center locking system on the P1. Most likely spent some good time looking it over and thought it wasn't worth it.

The tool you use to torque the center lock down is huge. The smallest I've seen is the size of a baseball bat. Where is that going to go in the P1?

There's also some engineering that goes into putting a center lock setup on a car. It's not just converting the wheels and hubs to match. It's stress tests, McLaren finding a reputable vendor to make the assembly and then make the wheels.

Here's a little food for thought. You have five lugs on the P1's wheels. One lug fails, you still four to hold the wheel to the car. On the center locks, you have one lug, and if that one lug fails, what happens?

Old 04-02-2014, 02:00 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Naomi12 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think and what could come in especially handy with the central lock