Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

McLaren P1 vs. the Nürburgring-Nordschleife

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond repute
I really find all that turbo wastegate farting super annoying...it's like driving around in a Subaru...other than, it's a very well-stitched together video.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
wtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond repute
so for them not to round up 178km/h to 179... it means they were doing under 178.5 km/h

so:
20.8/178.49 = .1165331391
.1165331391*60 = 6.9919883460

.9919883460 * 60 = 59.51
so that means they've scraped in under 7 minutes... around 6.59.51

Sorry but this a racing company . They LIVE on stats , X cornering g force , Y braking G force ,Z power etc etc
They would shout it from the rooftops if they had a fantastic time ( like they did with the topgear lap ).

Even at the Frankfurt P1 drives we were told they "had" to go back and would break the record , confirmed they had not broken it until then etc . Nothing about not announcing , in fact we were basically told "watch this space" .

Then the silver car went back ( to the ring) on one of the last days of decent weather , there were many witnesses and Mclaren said they " did not set any fast laps , they were optimising the car ".
It was around this time my 6 mins 47 seconds misinformation went viral around the world ( sorry btw ).

Then in the penultimate twist ;
Suddenly the ring is dangerous and they dont want to start a nordschelife arms race ( admirable stance if you had made it BEFORE HAND ). It just looks stupid after the event.

What changed ?

Then the silver car is shown in that cheesy video , "did we do it ? of course we did !" but " err we cant prove it because its dangerous " , laughable .

Obviously they underestimated the Nordschleife and Ze Germans .

Mclaren should set times at flat GP type tracks , I fully expect them to do much better there , theres no shame in this .
You could even sell it better to the public " we are an F1 company , our car has F1 technology and its optimised for F1 style tracks " that kind of thing . All cars do better on the circuits that best suit their particular characteristics , whats the big deal ?

Why not just leave it ? Why keep going on about it ? It really looks silly now either put up or shut up .
The cars got great reviews , it sold out like hot cakes , leave it alone , stop digging !

One more thing , I take it the ring is no longer dangerous , someone ?

Last edited by wtdoom; 12-07-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:03 PM
F yeah!!! tit got me a silver bar..
La Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond repute
^that time sounds about right..

PS
The only way this cluster **** is a stroke of genious is if they are waiting for Ferrari to release their time..and then go like yeah we did it even faster.. here is the proof.
But then again, that strategy is totally in ferraris hand, they can as always **** off the N ring and sell their cars easy any way.. they don't need this.. which will leave Mclaren in the poo water.. and by that they can wait and see if they Mclaren releases a time..and go after that time.
Or they can play into the hands of Mclaren and relase a time..
But then again..Ferrari does this way better than Mclaren. They wont have a PR fiasco a la Ron Dennis at Geneva

Old 12-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
wtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond reputewtdoom has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by La Artist
^that time sounds about right..

PS
The only way this cluster **** is a stroke of genious is if they are waiting for Ferrari to release their time..and then go like yeah we did it even faster.. here is the proof.
But then again, that strategy is totally in ferraris hand, they can as always **** off the N ring and sell their cars easy any way.. they don't need this.. which will leave Mclaren in the poo water.. and by that they can wait and see if they Mclaren releases a time..and go after that time.
Or they can play into the hands of Mclaren and relase a time..
But then again..Ferrari does this way better than Mclaren. They wont have a PR fiasco a la Ron Dennis at Geneva
But thats the point , Ferrari wont release a time , they have no need to . Just let it go.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:24 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wtdoom
so for them not to round up 178km/h to 179... it means they were doing under 178.5 km/h
Or... they just don't want to give away the time by supplying their actual average speed. You can use the evidence provided as a guide but it probably does not tell the whole story - in fact, I am sure it does not at this point.

>8^)
ER

Old 12-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Elion_Arro is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Peloton25
Or... they just don't want to give away the time by supplying their actual average speed. You can use the evidence provided as a guide but it probably does not tell the whole story - in fact, I am sure it does not at this point.

>8^)
ER
They gave that number because that shows they did it in under seven, but doesn't say how far under. That's literally the slowest avg speed possible to do it in under 7. It's not that it's the real avg speed. It's just the lowest possible number they could give. Have people really not figured that out?

Last edited by Elion_Arro; 12-07-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:59 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Some seem to be taking the statement far too literally, disregarding that the preface of 'in excess' means 'better than', and how much better than is purposefully not spelled out.

I also love the people who have convinced themselves that just because McLaren aren't yet willing to spell out their exact time this is somehow unequivocal proof that it was slower than the 918.

>8^)
ER

Old 12-08-2013, 12:28 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
For some reason it seems very important for McLaren to conform to the norm for some people. They can't stand that this is a unique automotive happening. I have had the opportunity to own a wide range of vehicles. Exotic, Premium, SUV and so on. I have owned 7 cars with over 500 HP. I have no criticism for any of them. There is room for every taste and experience. It is sad that so many need to justify some personal insufficiency by criticizing non-definative statistics. Why do you all care? Do you have so much dissatisfaction with your own choices that you have to attack others to make yourself feel better? Get over it. We don't troll the other forums to needle Ferrari, Porsche or Lambo for whatever the companies chose to disclose or not. All of these companies have their idiosyncrisies that open the door to criticism. It is counter to the thought of celebrating all cars and companies to do so. I guess it's a reflection of the individuals place in their world. When everything inside is venom, you need to spit it out.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Peloton25
You can use the evidence provided as a guide but it probably does not tell the whole story - in fact, I am sure it does not at this point.

>8^)
ER
evidence ? what evidence is that mate ?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jaymoney
For some reason it seems very important for McLaren to conform to the norm for some people. They can't stand that this is a unique automotive happening. I have had the opportunity to own a wide range of vehicles. Exotic, Premium, SUV and so on. I have owned 7 cars with over 500 HP. I have no criticism for any of them. There is room for every taste and experience. It is sad that so many need to justify some personal insufficiency by criticizing non-definative statistics. Why do you all care? Do you have so much dissatisfaction with your own choices that you have to attack others to make yourself feel better? Get over it. We don't troll the other forums to needle Ferrari, Porsche or Lambo for whatever the companies chose to disclose or not. All of these companies have their idiosyncrisies that open the door to criticism. It is counter to the thought of celebrating all cars and companies to do so. I guess it's a reflection of the individuals place in their world. When everything inside is venom, you need to spit it out.
Ron quotes:

"sub 7min"
Check!

"it's gonna break all the records"
numbers hello?

"fastest car in the world"
not 0-300km/h

P1 - 16.5s
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Supersport - 14.60s
Konigsegg Agera R - 14.53s
Venom GT - 13.48s

"whats gone before today and what come after(faster)"
this one is impossible.

"noone's gonna get near the performance of this vehicle"
on paper LaF is pretty close if not better.

1 correct
1 unknown
1 impossible
2 wrong

Last edited by koizu; 12-08-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: McLaren P1 vs. the Nürburgring-Nordschleife