Notices
Luxury Cruisers and Performance Yachts Sea Ray, Sunseeker, Riva, Chris-Craft, Formula, Wally Boats, Magnum Marine & More Discussion Forum.

Superyacht "Yogi" Sinks

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Still Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by slord
What makes you say this?
I did not watch the video...in case that explained something.

Based on the short description and the pic. I'm not sure how "mechanical failure and gale force winds" relate. Also based on the picture the ship is sinking in the stern, which typically means the engine room was taking on water. If an intake hose was knocked loose/came loose it would be dumping the intake water in the engine room, this issue could go unnoticed for just long enough to create a massive issue. The same thing happened to one of the fishing boats we use several times a year and considering it was much smaller they identified the issue quick enough.

Again this is just speculation as I'm not an expert of the mechanical workings of that particular yacht.

The only other "mechanical" failure that I would associate with an engine room flooding is the drive shaft dislodging but that seems highly unlikely.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
joshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond repute
So once a boat like this sinks do they just count it as a loss and leave it at the bottom of the ocean? Just curious, as I'm sure the raw materials alone are worth a few million dollars

Old 02-23-2012, 02:48 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joshg120
So once a boat like this sinks do they just count it as a loss and leave it at the bottom of the ocean? Just curious, as I'm sure the raw materials alone are worth a few million dollars
Yep, not worth salvaging. There would be ( shouldn't be as it won't be insured in open water ) nothing of value on board. Boat itself is insured however.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Here's an interesting article about the sinking. They are obviously still investigating it, but the owner of the yard has spoken about the sinking.

Head of Proteksan Turquoise comments on sinking of superyacht Yogi

Following yesterday’s news about the sinking of the 60.2m (198ft) Yogi off the coast of Greece, we have an exclusive interview with Mehmet Karabeyoglu, head of Proteksan Turquoise, the yacht’s builder, who was understandably distraught over the incident.

Yogi was en route from Turkey where she had finished a warranty paint period, to her berth in the Med. All eight French crew aboard were rescued by the Hellenic Air Force. Capt. Jean Louis Carrel told Greek authorities that although the weather was rough, he believed the sinking was a result of a mechanical failure with the exhaust system....

Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
adamls2 will become famous soon enoughadamls2 will become famous soon enoughadamls2 will become famous soon enoughadamls2 will become famous soon enoughadamls2 will become famous soon enoughadamls2 will become famous soon enoughadamls2 will become famous soon enoughadamls2 will become famous soon enough
Wow!!! That is pretty crazy!! I would hate to have to evacuate in a situation like that!!