Notices
Luxury Cruisers and Performance Yachts Sea Ray, Sunseeker, Riva, Chris-Craft, Formula, Wally Boats, Magnum Marine & More Discussion Forum.

Van Dutch SEA TRIAL. Went out today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Van Dutch SEA TRIAL. Went out today.

So after seeing the pics for the first time on TeamSpeed, I had to find out more about this boat. Every time I saw a picture, I liked it more and more. I decided to call the sales agent in Canada, and they informed me that they had one down in Ft. Lauderdale that would be at the Miami show. I quickly set up a sea trial for today so that I could see it before the show and have my parents come with me. This is important because they are the ones with the purchasing power, not me.

My parents and I took out a Wally Tender a year ago, and my mother loved it my father not so much. I still love the Wally, but after seeing this, I knew I had found something that we would all love. (I will include pics from the Wally Sea trial)

I will give you a brief review of the boat. I absolutely love the looks of the boat, the pictures do not do it justice at all. Everything in the boat is finished perfectly. You can tell that they spent a great deal of time to get the boat to look great both inside and out. I wish I had taken a picture of the engine area so that you would get an idea of the detail that they put into this. It is the perfect day boat, with a small cabin that is perfect to take a nap in, or crash for the night if you happen to anchor just off of a beach in Bimini. The teak floor is not real teak and looks and feels like the real thing, but without the hassles of maintenance (Esthec - Home). Everything on the boat seems to have been very well thought out.

For "us" performance boat guys it will take some getting used to, but you get a whole other type of fun with this boat. It is not fast, topping out at about 40-45 knot and cruising at about 30 knots. It does however provide a very solid and dry ride. At speed it has a very large turning radius, and remains relatively flat throughout the turn. It was explained to me that the boat was designed to remain virtually flat when handling it to provide a more comfortable ride for passengers and so that your drinks don't go flying around everywhere. It takes some getting used to, but it is perfectly fine. I had to go pretty far out into the Gulf to find some moderate swells (it was a perfect day to head to Bimini), but it seemed to do quite well in the open water.

All in all, it's a great boat! We all loved it, and it may be somewhere in our near future. I just have to get my business to get past the hurdles that I am currently facing, and have it get to the sales goals that I have set for it. With that in mind it is definitely something that will, sooner or later (probably sooner ), find it's way into my hands.

Here are the pictures. In them you will see my father, mother, and one of the owners of the company. Enjoy the pics!!

EDIT: I added some videos to the bottom of this post.

VanDutch Marine Ltd. | VanDutch 40 | The avant-garde in Dutch yacht building.

Owner of VanDutch on the right of the pic in the white polo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXXML...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOx_Z...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDaFw...eature=related

Last edited by Hernando; 02-16-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:34 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I've seen on in person, looks great. Good taste as always my friend.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
For comparison, some pics of the sea trial on the Wally. I wish I had better pictures of this day. Also a great boat imo. I do think I would take the Van Dutch over this, and later step it up to the Wally 55.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
In a perfect life would have the Van Dutch, Plus Riva Aquariva and a 150ft Palmer Johnson.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice boat Hernando, friend of mine has the smallest Wally, neve been on it but would love to. The Van Dutch has such nice modern lines without being too space agey like the Wally, I am sure your parents have an easier time liking it. Have you ever thought about getting a Swedish J-Craft Torpedo?

Last edited by PorscheFanatic; 02-15-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
In a perfect life would have the Van Dutch, Plus Riva Aquariva and a 150ft Palmer Johnson.
Yeah, or the new PJ170. The owner just told me that an American business man just commissioned a 90meter yacht and has bought a Van Dutch AND a Wally as carry on tenders. Now that's the life.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by PorscheFanatic
Very nice boat Hernando, love the modern lines. Have you ever thought about getting a Swedish J-Craft?
Yes, absolutely. I love the J-Craft. Same price range as well.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:42 PM
AMGFanatic
Originally Posted by Hernando
Yeah, or the new PJ170. The owner just told me that an American business man just commissioned a 90meter yacht and has bought a Van Dutch AND a Wally as carry on tenders. Now that's the life.
I was in Portofino this summer, saw a large Oceano yacht that had two Wally tenders that brought crew to the port(too small) for dinner, was amazing.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond repute
Great pics and review! I've also been on this boat in person.
It's great for warmer climates, but this boat just doesn't work in the Netherlands itself. The bimini cover is the only thing separating you from the elements. In a place where it rains 3/4 of the year, that's a big no no.

Nonetheless, it's a boat with great build quality as you would expect from Dutch boat builder's.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
I love the unimpressed older guy in a suit.

Quick Reply: Van Dutch SEA TRIAL. Went out today.