Notices
Japanese Speed Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA, 370Z, NSX, Supra, & More Discussion Forum

Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6 beats out Infiniti G37 in first comparison test

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:54 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6 beats out Infiniti G37 in first comparison test

Autoblog
While we're working on our own shoot-out between the Hyundai Genesis Coupe and a yet-to-be-named contender, the crew at Inside Line put Hyundai's new rear-wheel-drive two-door against one of its strongest opponents: the Infiniti G37.

IL's 3.8-liter V6 Genesis Coupe tester came equipped with the Track pack, which includes a stiffer suspension, limited-slip differential, Brembo brakes and 19-inch wheels, along with the standard six-speed manual. The sticker? $30,375, or $6,625 less than a base model Infiniti G37. For the extra scratch, the Infiniti is a more luxurious package and carries a bit of badge snobbery, but performance and driver engagement are the metrics we're interested in and the Hyundai proved to be a serious contender.

The G is packing more power from less displacement (330 vs. 306 hp), a bit more torque (270 vs. 266 lb-ft) and revs higher (7,600 vs. 6,800 rpm). But it's also packing the pounds. The Infiniti tips the scales at 3,709 pounds, while the Genesis Coupe comes in just under 3,500 pounds.

IL performed its usual battery of tests, along with a dyno run, and deemed the G37 a better vehicle on the road from both a driving and livability standpoint, but gave props to the Genesis for its competence on the track and predictable handling characteristics. Both cars were remarkably close in the performance department, with the Hyundai taking the win on the skid-pad, while falling short on the sprint to 60, quarter-mile time and slalom run.

IL's conclusion: For two-thirds the cost of the Infiniti G37, the Genesis Coupe 3.8 gives you more bang for the buck and deserves a place on any enthusiast's short-list.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, that's really a surprise! Hyundai has arrived, fellas.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
As a 37S owner (a very happy one at that) i will be one of the first to say that its still a hyundai. I wouldn't be surprised if it rattled on the inside just as the older evo's and sti's did and I'm positive the build quality and longevity of the hyundai can't even come close to what infiniti has done with the new G's.

disgruntled? sure, a little

Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Teamspeed Member
Gary (FL) has a reputation beyond reputeGary (FL) has a reputation beyond reputeGary (FL) has a reputation beyond reputeGary (FL) has a reputation beyond reputeGary (FL) has a reputation beyond reputeGary (FL) has a reputation beyond reputeGary (FL) has a reputation beyond reputeGary (FL) has a reputation beyond reputeGary (FL) has a reputation beyond reputeGary (FL) has a reputation beyond reputeGary (FL) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STLG
As a 37S owner (a very happy one at that) i will be one of the first to say that its still a hyundai. I wouldn't be surprised if it rattled on the inside just as the older evo's and sti's did and I'm positive the build quality and longevity of the hyundai can't even come close to what infiniti has done with the new G's.

I agree... love my 37S...

Old 03-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond repute
I am a big Infiniti fan (We own a QX56) but don't under estimate Hyundai. Years ago Mercedes laughed at BMW and combined they laughed at Audi and all of them laughed at Toyota and then Lexus and now looking at the landscape of the Automotive industry and Hyundai is well-positioned to be the "next" Toyota or Audi.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STLG

As a previous Infinity G35 Coupe and Sedan owner, the rattling was abundant and build quality was sub-par to say the least in comparison to Lexus and Acura. As for the NEW G37 I can't say. I would assume that they have gotten there s*** together and fixed the problems.

Go Hyundai for putting forth a contender. Hey Acura! REAR WHEEL DRIVE! and loose the Transformer BS.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:41 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
LaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond repute
That's pretty sweet, Hyundai has really stepped it up.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dhinkle
I am a big Infiniti fan (We own a QX56) but don't under estimate Hyundai. Years ago Mercedes laughed at BMW and combined they laughed at Audi and all of them laughed at Toyota and then Lexus and now looking at the landscape of the Automotive industry and Hyundai is well-positioned to be the "next" Toyota or Audi.
I agree. While Infiniti isn't too bad, it's refreshing to see an underdog show up and shake things up a bit. Besides, I think Infiniti tries too hard to be a BMW or MB fighter when that just isn't realistic, but Hyundai aiming its sights on Infiniti doesn't seem like that far of a stretch to me. I like how they aren't taking themselves too seriously and slowly just working their way up and into the affordable luxury market.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute96740 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
I agree. While Infiniti isn't too bad, it's refreshing to see an underdog show up and shake things up a bit. Besides, I think Infiniti tries too hard to be a BMW or MB fighter when that just isn't realistic, but Hyundai aiming its sights on Infiniti doesn't seem like that far of a stretch to me. I like how they aren't taking themselves too seriously and slowly just working their way up and into the affordable luxury market.
+1 Very well said.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
daedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond repute
I personally am routing for the little car from Korea. The best rebuttal i've heard from anyone about it is "its still a Hyundai"... If it can do the same thing your sports car can for 20k less more power to it. Why do you think the Evo and the GTR became household names in the sports car world? It offered the same performance for less.

I don't know why car enthusiasts would try and bash a car trying to accomplish the same thing?

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6 beats out Infiniti G37 in first comparison test