Notices
Health & Wellness Personal Training, Cycling, Running, Nutrition, & More Discussion Forum

The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread

We seem to be getting off topic in a lot of posts, so here is a thread specific to working out. Feel free to post what you do to stay in shape, your goals, and if you need advice, ask. There are more than enough members with the requisite knowledge to answer any question about lifting, running, or your diet.

Last edited by SoCal; 03-19-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
HIIT / circuit training, sprints, cycling, eating healthy (lots of panera in my case) which means small meals every 3 hours. good multi, fish oil, protein, creatine, glucosamine.

for example:

This workout is a 20-minute workout that will take you to your maximum physical effort as well as your maximum heart rate. The object of this workout is not to rest in between exercises. You will see that one minute of a particular exercise will burn out the targeted muscle group as well as increase your heart rate to a fat and sugar burning zone. Try the 20 minute workout below - if it is not challenging enough for you try it again, totaling only 40 minutes of your time in the weight room.

20 Minutes Circuit Workout

(*choose light weights for max reps)

1) Bench press* or pushups - max in 1:00
2) Squats - max in 1:00
3) Pullups or pulldowns - 1:00
4) Bike or jog - 3:00
5) Military press* - 1:00
6) Lunges - 1:00 each leg
7) Bicep curls - 1:00
8) Bike or jog - 3:00
9) Tricep extensions.- 1:00
10) Leg ext - 1:00 (requires leg machines - or repeat squats with weights)
11) Leg curls - 1:00 (requires leg machines - or repeat lunges with weights)
12) Situps - 2:00
13) Crunches - 2:00
14) Stretch

There is an unlimited number of ways to organize a circuit workout. The above workout is organized with upper body, lower body and cardiovascular exercises. By simply doing the above upper body and lower body exercises in such a way, you will be able to rest your upper body muscles while you workout your lower body muscles, but you will never rest your heart. This is how you make the circuit workout challenging to your cardiovascular system as well as your major muscle groups. Studies have shown that mixing a resistance training regimen with a cardiovascular element will increase your metabolism, therefore burning fat and building muscle. The result is a decrease in body fat percentage.

So, if you are looking to lose inches and body fat, workouts like this coupled with 4-5 smaller meals and 3-4 quarts of water everyday will help you achieve your goal. The best thing about this diet program is that you do not need a single dietary supplement - just good old fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish and other lean meats. The key is to burn more calories than you take in and this workout will help you with that - promise.

Last edited by IIVVX; 01-27-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
chase my wife around the house until I catch her.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:19 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
or that lol

Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's also important when referencing WHAT you do to also say how old you are.

When I was in my 20's I'd tare thru a weight room. Now, notasomuch eh...

Old 01-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Good point Chris

I'm 41
Rode 30k on my spin cycle last night

Old 01-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, almost threadjacked the foodie thread. As for me, workouts are periodized to the sport I'm doing at the time.

I'm 36 years old FWIW.

Currently its mid snowboard season so I'm don't have a gym membership, am doing maintenance weight training with dumbells, kettlebells and a pullup bar. I'm also prepping for mountain bike season with indoor cycling.

A week might look like:

Monday: Snowboard 2-3 hours, weights (Pushing day)
Tuesday: Snowboard 2-3 hours.
Wednesday: Weights (core strength day), 40 minutes biking
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Weights (Pulling day), 40 minutes biking
Saturday: 20 minutes interval bike training

In addition I take quite a few walks with the dogs, to the store, etc... Walking is a key recovery mechanism and I think also key to general health and well being. No particular mileage requirements, but getting outside to get the blood flowing on a regular basis.

I also do yoga and foam roller exercises a couple times a week but not in any structured form. Just to keep flexible and work muscle knots out.

With the above I noticed that I've skinnied up quite a bit in the last few months. I'm lean normally, but even moreso now. I need to focus on getting more calories, my wife says she likes me a little bigger muscles wise. Might get back in the gym for heavier lifting along with the food.

Last edited by big_slacker; 01-27-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Why yes...
Lately, a lot of body weight, Gymnastica Natural type workouts. BJJ training. And Olympic style lifting for explosiveness thrown in. All so I do not get my ass whipped in Brazil later this year.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
KT
I give good hugs. Bo, you're first.
KT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond repute
^that works

The circuit workout up there is similar to what I'm doing. It's a 40 min. Jillian Michael's DVD and it kicks my ass. I'm pretty sore today but am going to try running again. First time in 3 months.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM
FIGJAM
im 27

Quick Reply: The Official TS Workout & Nutrition Thread