Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUF Rt 35 Anniversary based on the new 911 - A fitting tribute to the original!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
cc8s is on a distinguished roadcc8s is on a distinguished road
That grey PS is awesome!

Old 03-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jumping_horse
Hi TB 993,
However, from what I understood here - RUF didnt use the 9A1 991 engine for his tuning here...both 991s here are V8 right?
RT35 uses the same engine from 997.2 Turbo, so its the 3.8L flat six DFI

the RGT8 uses Ruf's own V8

down the line Ruf will likely use a twin turbo version of their V8

the challenge will be getting the new motor to work with PDK IMO

Old 03-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond repute
grey one is amazing, people no longer need to wait for the turbo me thinks so, rufs are timeles IF YOU CAN AFORD THEM

Old 03-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hesperus
RT35 uses the same engine from 997.2 Turbo, so its the 3.8L flat six DFI

the RGT8 uses Ruf's own V8

down the line Ruf will likely use a twin turbo version of their V8

the challenge will be getting the new motor to work with PDK IMO
Without even pondering the reliability or otherwise of tuned non Mezger engines the real challenge for the tuners seems to be getting all the other electronically controlled systems working together.
The PDK is the key to the amazing acceleration numbers of the Dfi turbo motor and the electronics to make it work properly, coordinating the boost with the lightening fast changes is only going to be possible by using the heavily (and expensively) developed Porsche electronics.

Apart from PDK, the electronic traction control and PASM and 4WD systems are so woven into the engine electronics that the tuner's options are pretty limited if they want to maintain factory safe guards and IMO for over 900NM torque the factory "nannies" are essential although the 996 turbo 4WD system seems perfectly adequate, RWD only renders TC AND PASM obligatory.

The Carerra GT only has TC, it was developed just before the PASM was introduced and IMO this car is pretty dangerous even with only ~700NM when DRIVEN on anything but dry, flat non cambered roads, it would have really benefitted by having PASM and those feeling heroic could always swith if off

I cannot imagine that Ruf will be able to get his V8 to be able to work with the PDK, more likely he will use some sort of sequential - remember in the 90s he pioneered that clutchless gear change for the 993 turbos he did, it never really took off (I think there were reliability problems) but Ruf is not afraid of doing his own thing so if he does turbo charge his V8 I'm sure it will be a pretty special package

Old 03-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TB993tt
I cannot imagine that Ruf will be able to get his V8 to be able to work with the PDK
unfortunately, i agree with you here. wish we were wrong, but the reality is Ruf are s tiny, small volume manufacturer, and while I suppose if they dedicated the bulk of their engineering resources to address this problem, they might eventually get it, Porsche doesn't stand still, and by the time PDK "v1" is figured out, Stuttgart would likely have moved on with a "v2".

So there's much more "bang for buck" in developing their own engine, and again, its a strategic decision as to which battles to fight IMO.