Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Design Review Of The Porsche Carrera GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:43 AM
Teamspeed Member
Takumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really niceTakumi is just really nice
I am not sure if I will agree with anyone that the CGT offer this "un-stallable" technology when disengaging the clutch. I had driven the CGT on a few different occasions, and apparently the car could be stalled even on flat road if it is let out a little fast. Similarly I perform the same clutch out without gas and it will still work on the any other Porsche.

I just think that the no stall clutch out is a marketing scheme. Given that I driven the CGT a few times I am pretty sure it doesn't work like that.

None the less, the car is very exciting. It doesn't have a hard pull like a modify turbo but the speedo moves like a bike. The sound inside is intoxicating and during the whole drive I felt like I was in a dream.

I had driven quite a few variety of cars and recently the R35 GTR. Friends asked me how does it compare and needless to say there is really no comparison. I will have to say the CGT is one of the most involving exotic car to drive. It might also be the last exotic to have a MT tranny.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Takumi
I am not sure if I will agree with anyone that the CGT offer this "un-stallable" technology when disengaging the clutch. I had driven the CGT on a few different occasions, and apparently the car could be stalled even on flat road if it is let out a little fast. Similarly I perform the same clutch out without gas and it will still work on the any other Porsche.

I just think that the no stall clutch out is a marketing scheme. Given that I driven the CGT a few times I am pretty sure it doesn't work like that.

None the less, the car is very exciting. It doesn't have a hard pull like a modify turbo but the speedo moves like a bike. The sound inside is intoxicating and during the whole drive I felt like I was in a dream.

I had driven quite a few variety of cars and recently the R35 GTR. Friends asked me how does it compare and needless to say there is really no comparison. I will have to say the CGT is one of the most involving exotic car to drive. It might also be the last exotic to have a MT tranny.

The clutch is not a marketing scheme....you will not find any reference to a "no stall clutch" in any CGT literature from Porsche...at all. That technique is a discovery of owners and drivers, and no one is suggesting it is impossible to stall the car. If you let the clutch out to fast on any car, it will stall. I have stalled mine once in 2 years, and the clutch hasn't detracted from the ownership experience for me (but each owner is different obviously).

Last edited by RufMD; 12-19-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TB993tt
Guys, can I expand on the issues I raised, it is not my intention to bash the CGT, it is an intoxicating unique car and the ultimate Porsche.

I came at the CGT wanting a car which I could use as a daily driver.... this may seem ridiculous when the reality is that probably 99% are used infrequently and are (beautiful) items in collections which get used for special occasions. Porsche have engineered this car to be able to be used as a DD, the engine is very unstressed the gearbox is bullet proof and the clutch can take many miles before replacement. The brakes are nice to use and durable and the ride quality is exceptional and you can actually see out of the thing.

So Porsche make this wonderful car which is 100% Porsche ie it can be used like a normal car during the week and then give race like thrills whenever called upon - right ?

Yes apart from the two items I mentioned. The clutch is totally unecessary on this car, it is Porsche showing off its technology. They say it is needed because of the torque - this is BS, as we all know Sachs make some nice organic clutches which can handle 800NM with ease and and perfect to use.

There is a solution for the clutch, RS Tuning have a different more conventional item which they fit to their 730hp 6 litre conversion engines, I thought hard about having this fitted but then unfortunately my second CGT "problem" came into play.....

The cost of ALL the parts on the CGT is silly silly money (big caveat, this is all IMO and we know silly money is down to how much of it you have ) I was once walked around a CGT on a ramp in Germany in 2004 and the guy pointed to various parts and came out with various numbers: 15000 Euro, 12000 Euro 4000 Euro oh and a wheel 5000 Euro - the car is just too damn expensive to be used as a DD particularly for a daily traffic commute which is what I fantasized about.

There were 6 of us in my vicinity who had/have these beasts. I sold mine for the above reason as did another (he replaced it with a Veyron as his DD - so he wasn't bothered about replacement parts !) Another sold his as he didn't drive it enough and part of the reason was - yes he couldn't be &rsed with the clutch, The other 3 guys have theirs but they are strictly weekend fair weather toys - this ultimately is what the CGT is good for (and very good for) but it is a shame since it is a Porsche and is capable of so much more....

Incidentally, took delivery of the GT2 yesterday and I have a feeling that this actually does tick all the boxes on my Porsche DD check list......

First off, congrats on the GT2 ! Wonderful car, goes like hell, cossetted, a great all-arounder. Enjoy it in the best of health

There are people that have put significant miles on a CGT...a fellow in europe has 100k + on his, and a good friend of mine in England has 18k miles (both track and street) on his....

The clutch does highlight the latest Porsche tech, and that was one of the reasons for implementing it I suspect. It is also a racing application and extremely lightweight, unlike the heavier conventional sachs clutch you mentioned that handles the higher torque applications (I had a sachs clutch in my Ruf 550...very strong and handled abuse like no other).

The GT2 is going to be an easier DD for you. I have a GT3RS that is also easier to drive, easier to get in and out of, easier to park....easier clutch....but if I could only have one of the two, its easy...the CGT.

As far as replacement parts costs for the CGT, that comes with the territory. If Ferrari had built this exact same car, it would be over a million dollars easily. You are probably acutely aware of Enzo replacement parts costs....quite forward those Ferrari chaps....

In the end, I think its the supercar bargain of the century inmho. Considering the cost to make each one, the level of tech introduced within, the materials used....I think the price is "reasonable".

In view of the current state of world economics, I think a car company producing something comparable is unlikely in the near future (Enzo replacement aside).

Old 12-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
WOW!!!!! Great article. I need to read it a few more time and I can put one together myself. Anyone know where I can source out Carbon Fiber

Old 12-19-2008, 10:09 AM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
WOW!!!!! Great article. I need to read it a few more time and I can put one together myself. Anyone know where I can source out Carbon Fiber
MA Carbon, those guys seem to know what they're doing. You might need a bulk discount Moe.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:29 PM
DM1
Teamspeed Senior Member
DM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond repute
Great article Jas! Made me want to go for a drive. As for the clutch on the CGT, the first 05 red car I had.. I never stalled it once. The new 05 silver car I just got now with 180+ miles on it, I've managed to kill it a few times allready. When I asked my dealer why this car feels different, he said the clutch needs to "seat" first and then it will be easier to drive. That will take a few more miles.

I've also been told that an 04 has a different clutch and ECU programming than the 05. Don't know if thats is true or not.

But what a Great Car!!!!!!!!!

Attached Images    
Old 12-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
I'm surprised how many owners on here actually have CGT's, quite a crowd.

DM1 are you still selling your car?

Last edited by LABrit; 12-19-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:42 PM
DM1
Teamspeed Senior Member
DM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
I'm surprised how many owners on here actually have CGT's, quite a crowd.

DM1 are you still selling your car?
I'm selling but I need to get a fair price or I will keep it and enjoy it.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:43 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Dan keep it please

Old 12-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
Jas, good to see you posting. Love your cars man, especially the CGT!!

Quick Reply: Design Review Of The Porsche Carrera GT