Notices
General Mercedes-Benz General Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

2014 Tesla Model S vs 2014 Mercedes-Benz S550

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:08 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post 2014 Tesla Model S vs 2014 Mercedes-Benz S550

Name:  jdd.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  161.5 KB

2014 Tesla Model S vs 2014 Mercedes-Benz S550

"On this episode of Head 2 Head, the newest luxury heavyweight takes on the reigning champ. The Mercedes-Benz S-Class has ruled the luxury roost since it created the segment decades ago. However, Elon Musk's revolutionary Tesla Model S has single handedly disrupted the established luxury paradigm and has recently outsold the mighty S-Class. What's most amazing is that the Model S doesn't use a drop of gas. The S-Class does, but it rewrites the luxury car playbook in other ways. So which $125K big lux whip is best? Watch and find out!"

Old 05-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
This is quintessential old money vs. new money.

In my family, my brother and I (<30 years old) love the Tesla and my dad can't stand the huge touch screen. He thinks it's a joke and would much prefer the new S-Class.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
silat is an unknown quantity at this point
If the Tesla's interior was as nice as the MB's this would be no contest.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond repute
I've been driving a P85+ Tesla for the last 2 weeks and can say it is unquestionably the best car on the road right now

Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
DTurn678 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Mahzari
This is quintessential old money vs. new money.

In my family, my brother and I (<30 years old) love the Tesla and my dad can't stand the huge touch screen. He thinks it's a joke and would much prefer the new S-Class.
Actually, i also prefer the s class, i know its not as classy as the tesla, but it serves me right. Especially when am attending a VIP event or meeting a very important client. For some reason, many people think that the s class is more executive.

Last edited by DTurn678; 06-02-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
Model s feels like a Hyundai genesis in terms of quality. I guess that's a compliment to a American made car. I will leave it at that.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Rob99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The Tesla is a fantastic car for e.g. California, nice weather relaxed driving; not very useful in Germany. For the most part there still are no speed limits on Germany's Autobahn, though some local governments have restrictions. For nearly the same amount of money you can get an E63 AMG.
The Model S runs only 200 km/h top speed and only for minutes. Then the Tesla reduces the power. I guess, the reason why could be, that the copper cables are not designed for continuos maximum current, only for short acceleration and short distance at high speed.
A 900 km trip in the E63 AMG takes 7 hours. The Tesla needs 4 charges, so 2 days. The AMG can be refuelled everywhere, so no risk running out of charge, not permanent monitoring the typical range.

Car Magazin test results:
Model S range at 23°C --- 342 km
Model S range at -7°C --- 242 km
Model S range at average 120 km/h --- 200 km

The main problem of all electric vehicles is the 'Range vs Speed' problem. The range comes down under 20% at high speed. Check the range/speed diagram here:
Tesla Roadster Sport 2.5 : zero emission motoring

Tesla Model S P85 on Nürburgring/Nordschleife

Old 11-21-2014, 08:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Rob99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
New European Driving Cycle
The total test time amounts to 1180 s with an average speed of 33.6 km/h.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_European_Driving_Cycle
The range of electric vehicles is tested under the conditions of the NEDC. As a result, drivers fail to achieve the certified values in practice because their average speed is higher than 33,6 km/h.

There is also an influence of the ambient temperature.
Test: Citroen C-Zero
Range came down to 53% at -5°C instead of +22° C.
Range at +22°C: 138 km (NEDC)
Range at -5°C: 65 km (NEDC)

Pressemitteilung - DEKRA

Old 11-22-2014, 05:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MONACO BODYGUARDS™ has a reputation beyond reputeMONACO BODYGUARDS™ has a reputation beyond reputeMONACO BODYGUARDS™ has a reputation beyond reputeMONACO BODYGUARDS™ has a reputation beyond reputeMONACO BODYGUARDS™ has a reputation beyond reputeMONACO BODYGUARDS™ has a reputation beyond reputeMONACO BODYGUARDS™ has a reputation beyond reputeMONACO BODYGUARDS™ has a reputation beyond reputeMONACO BODYGUARDS™ has a reputation beyond reputeMONACO BODYGUARDS™ has a reputation beyond reputeMONACO BODYGUARDS™ has a reputation beyond repute
He is all f***** up. Come on just take a look at him...

He does not look like a guy that can actually afford any of these cars, or having owned anything special in the past (then no experience) so his opinion has no REAL value...

I almost fell down of my chair when he at the 7.00 min mark said: "S-Classes aren't supposed to be pretty, they never have been pretty"

WHAAAAAT did you say that my white S 73 ///AMG and black S 500 ///AMG - W140 series - were not pretty??????? You imbecile, stupid, ugly CLOWN!!! You are finished!!!! You must be retarded.

Take a look for yourself here. It was ONE very pretty S-Class in it's time ( around page 22-23) :

https://teamspeed.com/forums/travel-...thread-23.html

The Tesla IS indeed a nice car. A very cool extra car NEXT to a Mercedes S550, or a car that you can use for maybe driving to work or other small trips. But on longer trips in Europe it is useless, for a number of reasons, of which Rob99 mention a few.

But you JUST CAN'T compare it to a S550... the S-Class is in a totally other division...

And so is this:

https://teamspeed.com/forums/travel-...hread-103.html

If you could pick one of them for free, in the real world, I don't think that many would have chosen the Tesla.....