Notices
General Mercedes-Benz General Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

DIY E500 Brake Job?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond repute
DIY E500 Brake Job?

I just wanted to check and see if it would be of benefit to any of you to have a step-by-step brake pad replacement for an E500 (W211) w/ pics. I am going to be doing one on my front brakes tomorrow at a friends house. There is no way that I am going to pay a stealership $550 for a friggen front brake job. I have a baby on the way. Do you realize how many diapers and how much formula I can get with the amount of money saved?!?!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:02 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
I did this a few years ago on my E500 wagon - pretty hands on, but I wasn't able to shut the brake wear light off even with new pads, so I had to have the dealer do that one thing

Old 11-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
STEELO is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ambleZ06
I just wanted to check and see if it would be of benefit to any of you to have a step-by-step brake pad replacement for an E500 (W211) w/ pics. I am going to be doing one on my front brakes tomorrow at a friends house. There is no way that I am going to pay a stealership $550 for a friggen front brake job. I have a baby on the way. Do you realize how many diapers and how much formula I can get with the amount of money saved?!?!
On a W211 equipped with SBC: You would need to hook up a Mercedes Scanner to the SBC to electronically disable the brake system... failure to do so can result in serious injury!! Even with bleeding the brakes, you would need to do electronically...

Old 11-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
ALL4ONE is on a distinguished roadALL4ONE is on a distinguished roadALL4ONE is on a distinguished roadALL4ONE is on a distinguished roadALL4ONE is on a distinguished roadALL4ONE is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ambleZ06
You need to find yourself an independant shop. Where are you located at? The dealership is always to charge a lot more on any car. If you can DIY. Try sites like Benzworld,MBWORLD,Peach parts and other sites. Good Luck.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=azis123;451879]Ok needing some help from you experts here. I'm doing front brakes on a friend's 06 E350. I know the rotors are warped so new ones are necessary. There are three sizes of rotors to choose from, 11.6", 11.8" and 12" in diameter. Is the OEM standard size 11.6" and will either the 11.8" or the 12" be a simple bolt on affair?

That being said her rears are fine but for future reference are larger discs in the rear 11.8" or 12" a direct bolt on or is modding required? Newbie to MBs here so your help is appreciated.

This is where I'm referencing this sizes from. I'm going with EBC rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. Thank you for this write up as I'm finding the info very useful.

Call your dealer; they'll tell you what the OEM replacement size are.

Also, what gives with your signature?