Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

Ever get a speeding ticket when you were shocked at how fast the officer said...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:50 AM
MEM
Teamspeed Rookie
MEM is an unknown quantity at this point
Ever get a speeding ticket when you were shocked at how fast the officer said...

...how fast you were going?

I have a clean record. 70 in a 50 on the Long Island expressway 5 years ago... 51 in a 35 12+ years ago (dropped to parking ticket). No other speeding tickets. Just some loud exhaust tickets (but I was in my wife's SUV)

I was driving with my wife and son on the taconic in NY when I see a local cop with his lights on 300 yards ahead, with someone already pulled over, as I approach and go to pass, he exits the car, points to me and tells me to pull over. He said how fast were you going. I said 65 to 70 (my v1 went off way before and I was still doing that) in a 55. He then proceeds to tell me I was doing 87. There was absolutely no way in HELL i was doing that. My jaw dropped. My wife was in the car and swears I wasn't doing more than 70. Her reaction was equally as puzzling. She is very cautious about excess speeding with our son in the back and so am I.

I pull out....the cop drives for 20 seconds, and the next car that approaches from behind his lights go on and he pulls them over too.

I'm obviously going to fight it. 8 f-ing points!!! There is no WAY I was going 87. Impossible. I check my speedo constantly. Was I speeding? Yes, 10-15 over.

The way the officer spoke makes you doubt yourself. But I know my driving habits, the officer doesn't, and he's either full of crap, or someone in the opposing lane was doing that on the other side of the median.

Has this ever happened to you?

Last edited by MEM; 02-23-2014 at 11:54 AM.