Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

New SUV, welcome thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Teamspeed Member
ebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enough
Got an LR4 to test for a week. Put it through its paces in the desert... it refused to die! really didn't expect it.

Only problem with the new LX is that crazy price tag. my old LX was somewhere along the lines of 60K. The new ones run at about 100K.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ebo787
Got an LR4 to test for a week. Put it through its paces in the desert... it refused to die! really didn't expect it.

Only problem with the new LX is that crazy price tag. my old LX was somewhere along the lines of 60K. The new ones run at about 100K.
I wouldn't get an LX570 even it was 50k, it was the most regrettable car purchase I have done..... 19cars over 23 years.
The LR4 is a much better buy.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty strong sentiment regarding lx

As I said we used/abused ours for going on twelve years, 15k/ yr for mileage

Has been extremely reliable

Only in the last two years have we had to spend dollars fixing stuff

Yes it is large and slow

Yes pricey

But ours was well made and has served us well

Yes it has been used off road as well

Old 03-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
^ Well let me add, that the LX 470 which you speak of, is a great SUV. It was built better and costs much less then the new LX. Its the new LX570, I have an issue with.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Teamspeed Member
ebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enoughebo787 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
Pretty strong sentiment regarding lx

As I said we used/abused ours for going on twelve years, 15k/ yr for mileage

Has been extremely reliable

Only in the last two years have we had to spend dollars fixing stuff

Yes it is large and slow

Yes pricey

But ours was well made and has served us well

Yes it has been used off road as well
Same experience with mine... Tough car...

What's also cool about the LR4 are the 3rd row seats that you don't get in a rover.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 AM
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
I'll need to look into what changed, because they look pretty similar.
The GL and RR are also high on my list, will test drive RR next week.

May end up waiting 1 year, so mechanical issues on the new GL and RR can be vetted. Not crazy about buying brand new models.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:24 PM
OK, yesterday test drove the lx570

Pretty similar to my 2001. Not much changed in 12 years and $25,000 more. Though didn't care for the exterior, yes still wallows, yes new engine is stronger. Well equipped at nearly 90K, not sure it works for me.

Test drove the RR SC. Fit and finish and comfort are excellent. Was really impressed with how it handled, drove, etc. 10K more than Lexus, but shows.

Than I get to a traffic light, guy in front of me is just standing there. Waited a few seconds, and still not moving, hit the horn. He still doesn't move. Why?? Because the horn doesn't work!!! The salesman is like are you sure you hit the middle... I start pushing hard on horn, no it is just broken.

Arghhhhh.

Electric gremlins may still be an issue for RR.

I may try and keep LX470 till fall, and watch for more reviews and feedback on RR. But wife's car has to be reliable, my hours are long and can't worry about wife's car.

Want a RR with lexus dependability.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Teamspeed Member
airflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
OK, yesterday test drove the lx570

Pretty similar to my 2001. Not much changed in 12 years and $25,000 more. Though didn't care for the exterior, yes still wallows, yes new engine is stronger. Well equipped at nearly 90K, not sure it works for me.

Test drove the RR SC. Fit and finish and comfort are excellent. Was really impressed with how it handled, drove, etc. 10K more than Lexus, but shows.

Than I get to a traffic light, guy in front of me is just standing there. Waited a few seconds, and still not moving, hit the horn. He still doesn't move. Why?? Because the horn doesn't work!!! The salesman is like are you sure you hit the middle... I start pushing hard on horn, no it is just broken.

Arghhhhh.

Electric gremlins may still be an issue for RR.

I may try and keep LX470 till fall, and watch for more reviews and feedback on RR. But wife's car has to be reliable, my hours are long and can't worry about wife's car.

Want a RR with lexus dependability.
In a sad way that's kinda funny. I really believe that's just a freak problem, both my LR3 and now My LR4 have been bullet proof, more reliable than my Honda Pilot.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond repute
We're kinda of in the same boat needing to replace the family hauler/wife SUV, but other than needing to plow through Chicagoland winters, we don't really need an SUV for heavy duty off road trips.

That said, we looked at everything and decided to order an Audi Q7 TDI. I just thought it was the best combination of utility (3rd row seats, good, but not great cargo space), reasonable comfort, and an efficient diesel to boot.

Picking it up in 1-2 weeks.

Last edited by alin2.5; 03-24-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 AM
In Morgantown, we have the occasional heavy snow, but add to that some killers hills, a couple of friends who live on farms that basically require a real offroader to get onto their property, and we'd prefer something more capable. I have offroaded our LX about 1x/yr.

The Q7 was interesting to me, but a little tight for my 6'6" frame, and the second row a little tight for adults.

The Q7 did drive really nice. Hope it serves you well.

Quick Reply: New SUV, welcome thoughts