Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

VW Golf R20 build thread: 755HP & 701Nm

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 04:44 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to behold
First when the engine was stock and i had 460HP, the DSG was also stock. And it was hard to drive, the gear changes weren't that smooth.
But after i've sent it to Germany and changed it's clutches, and also it's software, now it changes very smooth, D mode was improved, now it changes gears later and i can drive it more easy through town.

If you plan on upgrading the DCT clutches, you need also to change the software of the gearbox (you need to change to change the pressure inside the gearbox, otherwise the OEM value of the pressure won't be enough to engage and disengage the upgraded clutches)

For DCT upgrade try SSP Performance - Transmission.. They are very good and i strongly recommend that the clutch installation should be made at them, or at a proffessional shop. In first place i bought my clutches from SSP, but in Romania nobody knew how to install them correctly (there are some steps that needed to be made before opening the gearbox), and a mechanic here ruined my clutches from SSP (4100$).
So after this incident i've decided to send my DSG to the best in domain: HGP Turbo in Germany, the equivalent in Europe of HPA Motorsport from Canada.

PS: for DCT software, maybe SSP Performance can help you with some recommendation.
Hope this helps

Last edited by TEFF; 12-10-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:59 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond repute
now this is a PROPER thread!!

love how everything is documented, im supose to test drive the golf r tomorw, se if it suits me as a daily driver

Old 12-10-2011, 05:03 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
WOWZA! Always been a GOLF fan and this is a good as it gets!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:30 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!zooyorker You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
awesome stuff!! Love the Golf R

Keep us posted, fantastic write-up!

Best regards,
Yannick

Old 12-10-2011, 06:12 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tips
now this is a PROPER thread!!

love how everything is documented, im supose to test drive the golf r tomorw, se if it suits me as a daily driver
You will love the car, especially if it has DSG,

Originally Posted by strebo
WOWZA! Always been a GOLF fan and this is a good as it gets!
Originally Posted by zooyorker
awesome stuff!! Love the Golf R

Keep us posted, fantastic write-up!

Best regards,
Yannick
Thank you very much guys. I was a little afraid that nobody will pay attention to this Golf because of the hyper-cars presented here

The guy which will be doing my interior and audio, won several times first place in Europe on sound quality and upholstery quality.
That's why it will take 4 months for the interior to be done

Old 12-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nice
Originally Posted by TEFF
Thank you bmw power. The DSG gearbox can handle more than 800Nm of torque after it has been upgraded.
Also the suspension (Bilstein B16 PSS10 coilovers) helps me a lot in combination with the Haldex Controller.

The best part in using Launch Control at DSG is that it isn't as brutal as a manual gearbox. When you release the brake pedal, the power delivery it's smooth and you don't feel a bang in the back of your head like you would feel on a manual car when you release the clutch pedal.
So the transmission isn't stressed that much.
I've also upgraded the engine mounts to reduce engine movement that could cause severe damage to the turbo and other parts
Thanks for your in depth response. Prior to this, I thought it was actually possible to uprate a dual clutch transmission. Very informative

Old 12-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Glad i could help. Contact SSP Performance and they will help you with the upgrade.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:02 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing with the TEAM!

Old 12-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Thanks DJ. I will do my best to keep this thread updated with technical information about performance, and also about what's going on at car's interior

Old 12-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Official Teamspeed Duck's Fan
BuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond repute
Great execution. Looks like a fun car!

Quick Reply: VW Golf R20 build thread: 755HP & 701Nm