Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

Car got stolen, looking for a new car

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
neversleeps has a reputation beyond reputeneversleeps has a reputation beyond reputeneversleeps has a reputation beyond reputeneversleeps has a reputation beyond reputeneversleeps has a reputation beyond reputeneversleeps has a reputation beyond reputeneversleeps has a reputation beyond reputeneversleeps has a reputation beyond reputeneversleeps has a reputation beyond reputeneversleeps has a reputation beyond reputeneversleeps has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdoog

They did also have an IS 300 and surprisingly, it just didn't do anything for me so I'm taking that off of the list.

I think I've finally calmed down a little over having my car stolen... hopefully I can figure out a suitable car for getting soon since my vehicle situation has changed since I got my last car (now have a brand new Daytona 675 to enjoy, but motorcycles have their limits when it's my only way to get around).
I drive an IS300 with about 230KM on it now and it's been a great car. The largest expense I've had in the last 3 years have been tires and oil changes.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Where was your car stolen from?
Resident overflow parking spaces in the garage at La Jolla Crossroads by the UTC mall.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond repute
look for an 04 530I.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PatrickHenry
look for an 04 530I.
Those are already that low??? Hmm... not too many manuals out there (of course), I'll have to keep my eyes open for that too.

I'm also figuring I may as well still take a look at some of the 3 series, so I'll try to find a dealer with some to test drive tomorrow.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdoog
Resident overflow parking spaces in the garage at La Jolla Crossroads by the UTC mall.
What kind of car was it? I used to park there all the time when I spent nights at this girls house I used to be dating. I used to leave the car by the UCSD shuttle stop near the Red Robin.

Crazy story. I parked my car on LeBon down by the Vons next to the Renaissance apartments once and went to my friends house. I got shitfaced and realized I'd forgotten the phone in the car. I came back to my car, got the phone and went back up. Passed out, woke up the next morning to leave and as I approached the car, the passenger window was down! I thought someone had broken into it, but it was just rolled down. I must have never rolled it up when I parked the car and didn't realize it when I came back to get my phone! There was NOTHING missing, not even the change in the cupholder. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, back to your question. I would go lease a new 2010 Honda Accord for 24 months. It's getting close to that time of year when they are getting motivated to dump the '10s.

If you want something a bit more fun, you can get an R53 MINI Cooper S, which is what I used to have when I went to UCSD.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Jeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond repute
I would keep the bike as the only vehicle for a while, save your money and buy a better car next year. I rode my bikes 8-9 months a year as my only transportation when I was in my 20's and I live in Jersey! I rode in T-storms, sleet, 20 degree early morning temps, you name it, and I loved it and I loved the fact that my buddies with big car payments were crying about money and I owned by bikes outright. You live in SD, which is the perfect climate for bikes. Yes, it can be a bit limiting to not have a car on occasion, but that's what friends are for. You are never expected to be the DD, you don't have to haul others around, etc. Try it for a while and then if you find it too limiting, then get a car, but every month that you don't have a car payment is money in the bank toward a nicer car in the future.

Either that or get an M5

Old 09-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
I'm sure it would be easy to guess, it was an Integra that was stolen. It was also broken into last year (nothing damaged but things taken). I have had some friends that have left windows open all day when at school with nothing ever taken and then randomly get broken into while in the same place (side of the road by the glider port in broad daylight).

As for leasing, I am definitely buying a car, not leasing. It will be something that I just keep until it essentially dies. I'm trying not to jump around with cars too much and don't require anything brand new. Also, I do need a car. I often have to buy materials, get parts heat treated, chem filmed, etc etc in which I simply get tired of waiting for other people to get done (if you want it done you just have to do it yourself sometimes). I don't really want to have to find a way to carry stock such as 4 10" OD rounds of 6061 T6 that are 6" thick each...