Notices
Garage Forum Learn about Garage Flooring, Custom Cabinetry, Doors, Lifts, Wall Wraps & More.

Nick Mason's garage - Top gear

Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
WindSpeed is on a distinguished roadWindSpeed is on a distinguished roadWindSpeed is on a distinguished road
Nick Mason's garage - Top gear

Top gear's article and gallery about Nick Mason's garege... I could live in a tent in there

In a top secret shed hidden on the dark side of the moon, there's a man quietly surveying a very splendid collection of cars. His name's Nick Mason. He's the drummer from Pink Floyd. And the man bleeds 98 RON.

"Mechanical things are just... brilliant," says Nick, gently tapping on a Ferrari that falls closely to hand. "You can fettle and tune and take them apart - but in my case I usually have to get someone else to put them back together again. Then the little adjustments you make turn into tangible things like faster laps and higher top speeds. I'm very grateful to have a passion for cars."

There ‘s categorically no denying the man's enthusiasm. - it's palpable and infectious. Even more palpable when he's surrounded by the cream of his 40-strong car collection, which includes a McLaren F1 GTR, Bugatti Type 35, Birdcage Maserati, 512 Ferrari, and a...

"1962 Ferrari 250 GTO. It's the most important car here. It's raced every year of its life, and you can still drive it to the supermarket. But my favourite driver is the Maserati birdcage. I've never had a hairy moment in it - even if you get it out of shape you can collect it," says Nick.

"I've had some dramas in that, though" he says, pointing a finger towards his Ferrari 512 S. "They got the power right, but they hadn't quite mastered the downforce... It was used in the filming of Le Mans, the film by Steve McQueen, and it was accidentally set on fire before getting restored. It's had an interesting life.

"And so has this one," he says, ambling towards an ex-Carrera Panamericana 1953 Ferrari 250 MM Berlinetta racer. "I'm taking it on its first road rally soon. I'm only going to Cornwall though - not quite sure it's ready for Mexican roads just yet."

Shimmying between the McLaren, Nick nods at an utterly beautiful and almost priceless Type 35 Bugatti. "This is a great little thing. It's faster through the corners at Silverstone than a Porsche [911] GT3." Which sounds utterly terrifying. And considerably quicker than Nick's first car. "I bought an Austin Seven Chummy - it taught me a lot about mechanics. Well, how not to do it. I didn't understand tapping [threads], so I repaired the cylinder head using Araldite. Terrible, really...

"My first band-paycheque car was a Lotus Elan. It was a new car at the time, but I bought it second hand. Its numberplate was 21PF, which seemed very appropriate.

"I've always liked cars with racing in mind," says Nick, looking over a Ferrari FF, which has joined his collection for the day to showcase its JBL sound system.

"My idea of in-car entertainment's a racing helmet and a set of Nomex underwear." Which begs the question - when's he joining Jeremy at Dunsfold? "Top Gear's great - I even lent Jeremy my Ferrari Enzo once. But I won't go on, just in case. If I was lining up for a race and someone reminded me that I was slower than a celebrity chef and a comedian it would be bad for my morale..."
I'll leave a couple of pics here, the link at the end to see them all!

Link: Gallery: inside Nick Mason

Old 05-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Am I the only one around here who doesn't have a custom member title?
sinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond repute
Oh my....is that a 166 MM in the first pic ?

Old 05-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Teamspeed Pro
parealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond repute
Great article. So much respect for the guys and their music. Mason had always been a huge car guy.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Alexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura aboutAlexscud has a spectacular aura about
big congrats to Nick for the very splendid garage..
I would like to receive an invitation to take a look...

Old 06-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ritesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond repute
What a Collection!!

Old 06-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
one of the greatest collections out there no doubt

real car guy this Mason guy

Old 06-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
I love his F1!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
that is one amazing collection!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Drumming great.....awesome collection

Old 06-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
What a fantastic collection. Truly a man that loves his cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nick Mason's garage - Top gear