Notices

Sydney, Melbourne and Places In Between

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
icruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond repute
Sydney, Melbourne and Places In Between

I am heading down under to visits some friends in Melbourne but also spending some time in Sydney. Any must see, do, or eat suggestions would be welcome. Can't wait to try some roo tail.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Teamspeed Member
1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light
Not much to see in between Sydney and Melbourne! A lot of country side, its an 8 1/2 hour drive in a car if you go straight through with only fuel stops.

Much better off taking an hour and 10 minute flight!

I'm not from Melbourne, so can't recommend a lot. But, check out Donovan's at St Kilda Beach for dinner as they do a great meal and its one of the best resturants in Melbourne. Its my favourite restaurant in Melbourne and its always a highlight of every trip when we go.

If you get the chance (are there for a week or several days) head down to the Great Ocean Road which is one of if not the best driving road in Australia, and make your way to Apollo Bay and stay at Chris's where there is a botique bed and breakfast up in the mountains that over looks the Bass Strait with its own resturant attached, there are only 4 cabins and 2 studios.

View from bed

If you have time its another 1 1/2 hours from Apollo Bay to the 12 apostles

When you leave take a right out of Chris's and follow the road back to Gelong and Melbourne through the rainforest.

Your mates in Melbourne should have the hook up with everything to do in the city. Accommodation, wise Crown Towers is good, so is the Windsor hotel. Melbourne has much better hotels than Sydney so you can't really go wrong anyway.

Last edited by 1q2w3e4r; 02-21-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Teamspeed Member
1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light1q2w3e4r is a glorious beacon of light
In Sydney you should check out

Cafe Sydney- where you can either go for lunch or dinner or just a drink on the balcony and over look the harbour.

Do the Harbour Bridge climb if you can be bothered and have the chance.

Go out for a cruise on the harbour, or even just grab one of the ferry's from Circular Quay (which is directly below Cafe Sydney) over to Mosman or the Taronga Zoo. Its only about a 15 minute ride.

Check out the eateries at Double Bay and watch all the Eastern suburbanites total failure to contemplate the ability to reverse park while you grab a bite and cocktail from Dee Bee's

and then walk a couple of doors up to Max Brenner's to pick out something for dessert (provided you like chocolate!).

If your keen on a picnic or the like Bradley's Head is a 5 minute walk up from the Ferry stop for Taronga Zoo and over looks the harbour. Its always quiet and only known to locals. Although if you have a hire car there is parking available (we always drive down).

Have fun! Melbourne is probably a more cosmopolitan city than Sydney, however from a sight seeing perspective Sydney has it all over Melbourne, plus it has the best Harbour in the world.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
icruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond repute
1q,

Thanks for the info. I will definitely take your suggestions and see how many of them I can get to while I'm there.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
alexandbella is an unknown quantity at this point
When in Sydney also visit Church Street, Parramatta, it has some of the best cafes/food in Sydney, check out Criniti's as well, good luck and enjoy your visit.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Coochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond repute
I second the Harbor Bridge climb....my wife and I spent 3 days in Sydney and included the walk - fantastic views of the city and a great history lesson too!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
I am in Australia now. Was in Sydney earlier this week and am now in Melbourne. I had dinner tonight at Donovan's and Jackie Stewart was at the table next to us (the F1 Grand Prix is here this week). Australia is definitely a great place to visit.

Last edited by icruze; 03-14-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Teamspeed Member
Awesome! Hope you liked the food at Donovan's, although if you had your meal for the evening next to Sir Jackie it can't be all bad right?

How are you liking it so far? Great time to go for the F1, and at least you can't complain about the weather

Old 03-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Coochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by icruze
I am in Australia now. Was in Sydney earlier this week and am now in Melbourne. I had dinner tonight at Donovan's and Jackie Stewart was at the table next to us (the F1 Grand Prix is here this week). Australia is definitely a great place to visit.
Jackie Stewart !!! That's cool.
Any chance you can make it to the Outback for a day or two? It is an extraordinarily different place (Uluru - aka Ayer's Rock, The Olgas, King's Canyon - my fave). If not you'll just have to make a return trip!
ENJOY.